Description of the issue:
Video through my Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 1’s webcam does not work through Google Meet, although it used to.
I see my image in the “ready to join” screen when starting a Google Meet meeting, with the appropriate background blur. However, when I click the blue “join now” button and go into the meeting, I see a frozen image of myself. If I disable and re-enable the webcam using Google Meet’s controls, the camera is no longer recognized in the meet session even though it turns on (I see the webcam light active).
This did not used to be a problem – I have been able to use Google Meet in Brave for a long time up until recently.
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Go to meet.google.com and click the blue “New Meeting” button and start and instant meeting (although this happens with all Google Meet sessions I’ve tried, including those initiated by others)
- You will enter the meeting, your webcam will be active, and no image will appear [error]
- Leave the meeting by pressing the “Leave call” red button toward the lower right
- Click the “rejoin” button
- You will now see and active preview from your webcam that looks okay. Click the blue “join now” button.
- You will see your frozen image [error]
- Click the “turn off camera” button at the bottom. The webcam will deactivate
- Click the same button to turn the camera back on. The webcam will activate but no image will appear from your webcam.
Video from my webcam would function in Google Meet.
Brave Version( check
Video works fine in Google Chrome.
I also tried going into “Site and Shield Settings” in Brave, going to the camera tab, and making sure my webcam was selected (it was) and deleted meet.google.com in the “Allowed to use your camera” section and re-adding this permission in a new Meet session.
None of the above worked.