WebAuthn support for Brave

Hello, I just read something about a password replacement that was accepted as a “new standard”. Sure, it will take some time until passwords are replaced (if at all), but I just wanted to draw attention to Brave’s support (Firefox, Chrome and Edge already support it).

Source: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/login-ohne-passwort-webauthn-neuer-w3c-standard,3341355.html (don’t be distracted by GameStar, the site refers to another source, heise.de, which has mainly to do with computers etc. - as far as I’m not mistaken)

Translation of the source:

Login without password - WebAuthn is new authentication standard
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has approved the WebAuthn authentication standard. The new standard allows login without password.

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in cooperation with the FIDO Alliance has approved the Web Authentication API (also called WebAuthn) as (via ). Using WebAuthn, users can log into their accounts on the Internet using biometric data, portable devices or specific FIDO security keys. The classic login with user name and password is no longer necessary.

WebAuthn should not only provide more convenience and flexibility when logging in, but also guarantee a higher degree of security compared to passwords. It’s time, W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe said in a press release, that Web services and companies are using WebAuthn to improve the security of their users’ online experience beyond vulnerable passwords.

More security with WebAuthn
The W3C emphasizes the benefits of WebAuthn and points to the avoidance of risks such as phishing, password theft and replay attacks. Service providers and Web companies that wish to use WebAuthn can have themselves certified according to the FIDO2 standards via a separate program.

Currently, Firefox, Chrome and Edge support the WebAuthn standard. Safari only has a corresponding function as a test feature. If you want to use WebAuthn yourself, you can do so using specific login procedures that use biometric features. Alternatively, hardware security tokens and apps are available for smartphones.

The first websites such as Dropbox, Facebook, GitHub and Twitter have already begun to integrate WebAuthn into their services as a login procedure. The standard has received the blessings of Amazon, Apple, IBM and Google, among others, who are members of the World Wide Web Consortium.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

3 Likes

I think it would be great to have FIDO2 support on Brave.