Video hardware decoding (VAAPI) no longer works on Linux after update

Today I got an update for brave browser from 1.30 to 1.31 and hardware acceleration (vaapi) no longer works.

Go to a Youtube video, go to More tools > Developer tools > media > Players and see that hardware video decoding is not available. Likewise intel_gpu_top show 0 % for video.

Before the update hardware decoding was working nicely.

I started brave-browse with the command (which I put in a wrapper script)

LIBAV_DRIVER_NAME=i965 /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable --use-gl=desktop --enable-feature=VaapiVideoDecoder

OS is Ubuntu 20.04. Intel HD graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)

So the issue is caused by Chromium 95 using ozone platform and there is no way to disable it.

However, there is a patch that fixes VAAPI for Linux. https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/a4de986102a45e29c3ef596f22704bdca244c26c

Brave should incorporate the patch in its next release since the feature is very useful for Linux users with weaker machines.,

Just FYI, for the latest release of google-chrome (not chromium) ver 94.0.4606.81

VAAPI works with the command

LIBAV_DRIVER_NAME=i965 /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable
–ignore-gpu-blacklist
–enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-zero-copy
–enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder
–disable-features=UseOzonePlatform --use-gl=desktop

But this doesn’t work for brave.

1 Like

Just upgraded Brave to 1.32.106 (based on Chromium 96.04664.45) and VAAPI is working again.

1 Like