I’m just wondering if there’s an ADMX that I can upload to Microsoft AD, so that I can control URL block list like Chrome browser can?
This one @Th0r ?
Thanks @eljuno, I found that and tried it, but it didn’t work. Have you tried it before? If yes, did it work?
No, I’m never try it before nor familiar with. cc @Mattches for additional assistance here.
Can you elaborate a bit on the steps you took using the Group policy doc above, as well as where it failed or the point at which you couldn’t achieve what you were looking for?
Thanks @Mattches .
I have followed this instructions, but it is possible that I may have not followed it properly/misunderstood it.
Basically, what I’m trying to do is I’m trying to block a few urls using the urlblocklist.
I have managed to do this successfully for a chrome browser but not brave.
So for I have done the following:
I’ve downloaded and unzip the policy_template.zip
I then went into the windows folder and copied the 2 admx files along with the en-us folder into the domain controller C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions
Once this was done, I was only able to see the additional folder called Google → please see screenshot. This has given the same changes to when I was updating GPO for chrome browser
Hence I realised that this changes will probably be more for google chrome browser than brave.
Anyway, together with this change, I also created a new reg file as the instruction suggested and called brave.reg
I changed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\BraveSoftware\Brave.
then I pushed it out to the a laptop, but not seeing any changes to the laptop. However, the laptop in question is still able to access the URLs that I have listed in the reg to be blocked.
Not sure if I have been barking the wrong tree here. Your assistance is muchly appreciated. Cheers
Thank you for the details. I’m looking into this and will reply when I have more information. Thank you for your patience.
Can you please check the following page and see if it helps sort things out for you?
Thanks @Mattches ,
I tried this and whenever I edit a GPO, it came up with this error
I’m running Windows server 2019 by the way.
EDITED: I forgot to mention that I used ver v87.0.4280.88
Apologies for the late response.
So I’m not entirely sure what the right course of action here is.
DTD = Document Type Definition – so I’m wondering if perhaps you need to edit out the comments at the top of the files, denoting the chromium version:
<!--chrome version: 87.0.4280.88-->
Try opening each file in notepad (or whatever preferred editor) and cut the XML comment out, save and try again.
Thanks @Mattches . which file is that from? I did a quick search on the admx and adml and couldn’t find that?
Hmmm, well it should have been here:
@Mattches - Thank you so much for pointing this out. I edited the adml and admx files that I downloaded by using the link and to my surprise that they’re different to actually content of each of them. So what I’ve done, is that I copy pasted the content of each of the files and again to my surprise the error disappeared!
I am now getting this → which is a lot further than before thanks to you
Now, onto the next problem, so even though I have set urls that I would like to block, it doesn’t seems to be blocking them.
I’ve done gpupdate /force by the way just to ensure that the new policy is properly replicated.
This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.