"Unknown" EXEs don't open correctly

Description of the issue:
Opening a downloaded EXE that is “unknown” by Microsoft SmartScreen causes Brave to only open a not responding “Window Dialog” window:
brave_fnqrZI6jWd

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download an EXE that would trigger the “Windows protected your PC” popup. An example file can be downloaded from Microsoft here.
  2. Run the downloaded EXE.

Expected result:

The “Windows protected your PC” popup appears as normal.

Brave Version (check About Brave):
Version 1.47.186 Chromium: 109.0.5414.119 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
This may be a Windows 11 Beta only issue, as my friend cannot replicate this on Windows 10.

Hello @RuiNtD

Thank you for reaching us and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Please try in Private mode or Guest Window to see if the behavior persist. If that works, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click MenuMore toolsExtensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let us know if that works!

Hi again! @RuiNtD

I wanted to know if the issue was solved?

Regards!

Having the same issue here. Tried disabling all installed extensions, to no luck.

Hi again! @Vitroid

Thanks for your reply we appreciate the details. Could you kindly try to install the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persist?

Be waiting for your response!

Hello @Vitroid

I wanted to know if the issue was solved?

Have a great day!

I apologize, I had my email inbox filled and no longer received notifications. Yes, I’ve tried the nightly version, and the issue still persists

Hello. Sorry for late reply. I’m still seeing the issue on Brave Beta 1.50.101. Again, might be a Windows 11 only issue. My friend had this issue only after (forcefully) upgrading to Windows 11.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.