Unauthorized "tip" paid to Brave on Uphold

Briefly describe your issue:

I’ve been a BRAVE user for at least 3.5 if not for 4.5 years now & when I initially joined the reward & creator program- I set my accounts to have auto-tipping feature turned off & haven’t made any changes since the original sign up… I’ve back tracked and verified that the selection is still turned off & know that I haven’t selected any other creator to send a tip to- ever… however on May 25, 2023 there’s a transaction for .5 BAT transferred to BRAVE via my Uphold account. When I opened a ticket to let them know that my account may be compromised due to the unauthorized transaction they responded with:

Blockquote

I’m sorry that you are facing issues with this transaction, I understand that this has been concerning for you, but please don’t worry, this transaction is related to the Brave auto tips or auto contributions.

Brave Rewards allows you to tip sites and content providers using BAT directly in the browser.

Tips can be sent directly as a one-time payment or set up on a recurring schedule every month.

If you are a Publisher verified through creators.brave.com tips are sent instantly and appear in your Brave Rewards account within minutes.

Blockquote

Unfortunately, this emailed response doesn’t give me the relief it’s intended to produce. Especially, whenever I look at my rewards statement breakdown and don’t see any acknowledgement of receiving nor disbursement of the BAT taken from my account. I would sincerely appreciate someone letting me know how this happened and how to prevent it to happen again… in a perfect world- BRAVE would acknowledge this issue & refund my piddly money, but I’m not holding my breath.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?

Microsoft Windows 11 Home Insider Preview

Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)

yes
What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?

many years ago- I can’t find the date

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?

yes- I’ve received what seems like a bazillion deposits

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)

right now? no… Do I when I perform certain tasks online? yes

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?

yes

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?

N/A

Have you manually turned off Auto-contribute on all of your devices?

yes

1 Like

@Journey sounds like you ended up enabling Auto Contribute, which is on by default. I’m not sure if you connected any new devices or browser profiles. Main idea is you can always write into Brave to see if they can check it and if they’d be willing to refund it, especially if it’s just a one time thing.

You just would need to create a Rewards Support Ticket at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431

1 Like

Thanks so much for your helpful reply @Saoiray. I’ll follow your link to open a ticket- fingers crossed this all gets ironed out.

:beers:my new friend!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.