Unable to "Save Password" on any website after keychain account password change

Description of the issue: Ever since I changed my password for my OS X account all of my saved passwords in Brave have disappeared. I still get prompted to “Save Password” every time but it never saves them. My “Manage Passwords” section is empty.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go to website and log in. Click “Save Password”
  2. Log out
  3. Log back in

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Credentials should be autofilled and show up in Password section of settings

Expected result:
Credentials are neither auto-filled or show up in password section of settings (also continually asks you if you want to “Save Password” on sites you already clicked “Save” on

Reproduces how often:
Frequent

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave Version: Version 0.67.124 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
OS X Version: 10.14.6 (18G87)

Additional Information:

Browser Extensions:
Redux DevTools
React DeveloperTools

I would note that this is the second time my saved passwords disappeared since changing my OS X password. The first time was on the Chrome browser for OS X though, so it makes me think it’s an inherent issue in Chrome/Chromium.
The fix for this is to delete my profile, but I’d prefer not to have to do that every time I change my password

1 Like

@jmacek,
Thank you for reaching out – and for the very detailed report.
This issue has cropped up previously and seemingly for different reasons other than system password reset. However, that tracks pretty well with the behavior. I have a question and a potential solution to the situation:

A question:
If you look at the keychain on your system, do you see [any] passwords saved from Brave here?

Potential solution:
First, to dot the T’s, ensure that you have the following options enabled in Settings --> Autofill

For this test, we’re going to try and kill two birds with one stone. Since the test requires another browser, if you’re willing, I’d like to suggest downloading a different Brave build (links below). Any/all Brave versions run in parallel with one another, so you don’t need to worry about overwriting or losing data in your already installed version.

Test:

1. Download and install either Brave Beta, Developer, or Nightly builds on your machine – which one isn’t particularly important for the purposes of this test.
  2. Once installed, visit a website that requires username/password authentication.
  3. When asked to save he password for the site, do so. Go to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords and check to see if the credentials just saved show up in the list of saved passwords. Then,
    • If the password is saved at this point :
      Proceed to step four below.
    • If the password does not appear:
      Stop the test and let me know – this means there’s some other shenanigans going on that this test won’t tell us.
  4. Now logout of your mac’s system profile then log back in. Open the Brave version you just downloaded and added the password to, return to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords. Then,
    • If the password still appears in the list after system logout/login:
      Proceed to step five below.
    • If the password does not appear after system login/logout:
      You’re likely encountering the same issue you came here to report in the new version of Brave you downloaded. This is one bird – we now know that it’s not specific to your browsing profile and points to Chromium and/or keychain issues as you mentioned before. If you find yourself at this point, before moving to step five, attempt to save another password in Brave (repeat steps 2 and 3) but this time, do not logout of your System profile and move on to step five instead.
  5. With the newly installed Brave open to the Passwords list, click the “more options” icon on the right, then Export:
  6. This will export any saved passwords to your system as a .csv file. Save it somewhere easily accessible, then open your original Brave version you had on your machine (Release build).
  7. Type brave://flags into the address bar and search for a flag labeled #passwordImport and enable it. Make sure you relaunch the browser when prompted.
  8. After Brave (Release) relaunches, go to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords and click the “more options” icon – select the new Import option and choose the .csv file you saved in step 6. You should now have the login/password data you exported appear in the list of saved passwords. Close the browser.
  9. Finally, lets kill that last bird! Log out of your system profile again, then log back in. Return to the list of saved passwords in Brave (Release). Is the password still there or has it again disappeared as it did initially?

The above test seems long and complicated but it’s actually very straight forward. Please let me know what you find out or if any of the above is unclear.

1 Like

Hi @Mattches, thank you for the detailed response.

A question:

Q. If you look at the keychain on your system, do you see [any] passwords saved from Brave here?

A. I do see an entry in my keychain labeled “Brave Safe Storage” (however I also have Brave Dev installed so it might be from that)
edit: I just checked what that entry was linked to and it was linked to both Brave (release) and Brave (dev)

Potential solution:

First, to dot the T’s, ensure that you have the following options enabled in Settings --> Autofill

All good here (if only it were that simple :laughing: )

Test:

1. Download and install either Brave Beta, Developer, or Nightly builds on your machine – which one isn’t particularly important for the purposes of this test.

Done. I’m using the “Brave Dev” app I already had installed, I can download another if this is an insufficient test

1. Once installed, visit a website that requires username/password authentication.

Done

1. When asked to save he password for the site, do so. Go to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords and check to see if the credentials just saved show up in the list of saved passwords. Then,
  • If the password is saved at this point :
    Proceed to step four below.

The password has appeared (In Brave Dev)

1. Now logout of your mac’s system profile then log back in. Open the Brave version you just downloaded and added the password to, return to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords . Then,
  • If the password still appears in the list after system logout/login:
    Proceed to step five below.

The passwords are still there after restart

1. With the newly installed Brave open to the Passwords list, click the “more options” icon on the right, then Export :

Done

1. This will export any saved passwords to your system as a .csv file. Save it somewhere easily accessible, then open your original Brave version you had on your machine (Release build).
  1. Type brave://flags into the address bar and search for a flag labeled #passwordImport and enable it. Make sure you relaunch the browser when prompted.

Got it

1. After Brave (Release) relaunches, go to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords and click the “more options” icon – select the new Import option and choose the .csv file you saved in step 6. You should now have the login/password data you exported appear in the list of saved passwords. Close the browser.

Bug found! I imported the CSV from Brave Dev into Brave (release) but the password I had exported did not show up in Brave (release)

1. Finally, lets kill that last bird! Log out of your system profile again, then log back in. Return to the list of saved passwords in Brave (Release). Is the password still there or has it again disappeared as it did initially?

I’m just going to ignore this step since the import didn’t work

Thank you for the detailed response, I hope this helps!

Something additional to add is I still have saved passwords on some sites. I don’t see any kind of relation to the sites where my passwords are autofilled though, seemingly random. The passwords for those sites do not show up in my “Passwords” section in settings though (still blank)

This is not helpful because (1) my Brave does NOT save the new password I just had to create because it wasn’t on “Custom and Control” then down to “Settings” and then “Additional Settings,” finally to “Passwords” and when I look into all my saved passwords, and search for Brave’s . . . Brave is there, but no password for Brave. Fix please.

@DonLWood,
I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re trying to say here. Can you please open a new topic and explain your own situation in detail?

Hey @Mattches

Was there anything I could do past what I’d responded with to help resolve this? I’m hoping to get enough information to form a defect report.

@jmacek,
Would you mind trying to give Brave full disk access (at least temporarily) on your OS preferences? After granting the permission, try and save passwords again as intended.

Just tried that, still unable to save passwords.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.