Passwords and usernames will not save in the latest desktop build: Version 0.70.121 Chromium: 78.0.3904.70

Passwords will not save even after filling in prompt. Save Password switch is on, auto-fill is on.
By going to a site, filling in a username and password then returning to that site and there is no prompt to complete the information.

I expect Brave to save a password when I see the prompt and fill in the username and password. This worked fine in the previous build.

Version 0.70.121 Chromium: 78.0.3904.70 running on a MacBook Pro circa 2015.

Additional Information:

Hi @AltDog! Can I ask which version of OSX you’re on?

This is a known bug, we’re looking into it!

Asad,

I was on 10.15 Catalina which just updated to 10.15.1. Same issue. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Ian

@AltDog,
If you click into the username field of the login credentials, does the autofill work?

Mattches,

No it doesn’t, which is how I noticed the issue in the first place.

Ian

I had occasion to change passwords on several accounts because they disappeared. I just did two this morning and was prompted to save them which I did, and they are not prompting to autofill. Save passwords and autofill both are enabled.

Ian

@AltDog,
Can you check Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data --> [On exit] and ensure that you don’t have the Passwords and other sign-in data option checked?

1 Like

Mattches,

Just checked and both Passwords\ sign-in data is off as is autofill form data. I am not set up to clear on exit, I do it manually.

Ian

@AltDog,
Thank you for checking. I’m curious – if you enter your credentials for a site and Save them when prompted to, will they show up in your list of saved passwords at all? For example, try logging into community (or any site but for sake of ease) and saving your login information to the browser. Then, without closing the browser or navigating to any other sites, go to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords and check to see if the password you just saved was added to the list.

No they don’t, I have nothing in my saved passwords list. Even after I save a password.

1 Like

@AltDog,
I wonder if your system is preventing Brave from writing to the OS keychain. Can you try the following:

1. Go to System Preferences --> Privacy/Security and click the lock icon and enter your password. Can you tell me what Brave has access to?
  2. Can you open the Keychain Access window on your mac, select the Login keychain, and Passwords category – do you see a Brave safe storage entry here?
  1. Brave only shows on the Accessibility Tab and wasn’t checked to ‘control your computer’.

2. Yes Brave Safe Storage is on the list.

@AltDog,
This is going to sound a little silly but can you confirm that your Brave browsing profile actually exists? I’ve had similar issues before where users browser wouldn’t retain data because the browser didn’t have the proper folder to store it in.
~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser
:point_up: Check and ensure that this folder is there and that within it there’s either a Default folder and/or folder(s) for any additional browsing profiles you’ve created are also there.

I’ve reached out to the team for further input on this issue – I appreciate your patience.

Mattches,

I do not have that folder. How do I create one? I have 2 profiles.

Ian

@AltDog,
Apologies, can you clarify which folders aren’t present?

~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

No folders containing the word ‘brave’ in library/application Support/

@AltDog,
Ooooo that’s no good – but it does help our situation.
So try manually adding a folder called BraveSoftware in Application Support, then launch the browser. Visit a website or two (you can try saving passwords if you’d like), then close the browser and return to ~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/ – is there a Brave-Browser folder present there now?

If not, try manually adding that folder as well – the same way you did with the first one – inside the BraveSoftware folder. Repeat what you did above and check again to see if the Brave-Browser folder now contains data.

Mattches,

I created the first folder, saved some passwords, the second folder was not created. I created the second folder, saved some passwords and nothing was saved in Brave-Browser. Same issue.

Ian

Thank you for testing that – not going to lie, I’m pretty perplexed here. Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the empty folder – just like I’ve done below:

Sorry – I know this is rather arduous but I’m trying to get a clear picture of what’s going on.

See below.