Unable to open files downloaded with Brave

Unable top view or open files downloaded using Brave. Continue to get message that there is no application or that it was closed. How do I open these files?

Can you send a Screenshot of it? It will be easy to understand…

Here you see the downloads in MyFiles, and the message received when clicked. Thank you for helping.
Karen

Are you sure the file/s have a proper file extension (.jpg/.png/else)?

I am NOT tech savvy. I have no idea what you are questioning. I receive a file on my android phone (typically a document), I open click on it and it takes me to Brave, I then either open it, or I download it for viewing later. When I download using Chrome it appears immediately in downloads, and I am asked if I want to open it to select an app. I typically select Adobe Acrobat. Then I can save to device or Cloud. This does not happen with Brave. It does not show on Brave in Downloads. If I try a second time to download, it asks Do you want to download again. So I went to MyFiles to be certain it shows there in Downloads, which it does, as you can see in the screenshot, but when I try to open it, I get the message in the second screenshot, so it appears Brave does not link to the download. Without that link, my phone lacks an app to open the file, and I have no idea how to add it. On Chrome, where the download appears in Chrome’s Download list, the downloads open as I open them from the Chrome Downloads List.

This is file extension. An image will have .jpg , .png , or else. .pdf for document and so on.

As based on your screenshot, I’m not sure if others have it too (I assumed others is the downloaded files too)

What kind of files that you tried to download?

And maybe share a screenshot of Brave’s Download page?

@klfortier All those files which says “All apps associated with this action have been blocked” are files which we can use in computers… Not mobile phones.

If you open them through our computers, it will work.
BTW don’t open such files if they are not from a recognizable website since they may even destroy your computer if you are not careful.

I know these files were selected for download by me. They are not spam, but are articles from webinar I needed to save. I will just have to use Chrome rather than Brave for downloads in the future, as it has no problem downloading to the phone. I have no computer, so computer downloading is not an option.

Thank you for your help. I thought Brave was going to be a better browser. I did not know it had this limitation.

Karen

Brave should have similar behavior like Chrome, so it’s strange your download is not working well with Brave @klfortier .

I suspect it’s (again) related to file extension/file type.

1. Is the article in a pdf format? Or html page?

2. Steps that you did to download the file/article? Are you clicking download button or else?

3. Happened only when downloading article? How about downloading image e.g. from Google Search Image? Or pdf file from https://basicattentiontoken.org/static-assets/documents/BasicAttentionTokenWhitePaper-4.pdf ?

4. If you can try to download the same file with Chrome and Brave then share a screenshot of Brave’s and Chrome’s Download page, it may be helpful.

5. Screen record (if that’s not too sensitive) are welcomed too.

I use Brave for everything and downloads wasn’t a problem for me personally. Everything works as usual.

What does it show when you open the “Google_calend…d_tricks_r.pdf” from the screenshot provided? Does it show a similar page?

Karen,

This is a lengthy, detailed reply, and attempt to assist both you and Brave Support, with your concern / issue. So, hang in there . . .

You will help Brave Support, by relating the Android phone model, plus the Android OS version, plus the version of Brave Browser for Android on your phone.

Categories and Tags for your concern, would be (IMHO):

Browser Support > Mobile Support > Android

Now regarding your reply back on July 18, 2021 - the 5th reply on this Topic-webpage. To which, I am making my reply, herein, today (July 20, 2021).

I have dis-assembled that paragraph of yours, and included my perspective:

You: I am NOT tech savvy.

Me: OK

You: I have no idea what you are questioning.

Me: I am assuming that you replied to Community Moderator, eljuno

You: I receive a file on my android phone (typically a document),

Me: Not clear on how you receive a file on your Android phone. What application initially managed that reception of the file (e-mail / messages)?

Seems - from what you wrote later in the paragraph - that the file is placed among the phone’s My Files collection.

The Android 9 (or later) file manager is named Files app. BUT, on some phones (not iOS devices) a Samsung phone for example, Samsung may have substituted its own file manager named My Files app.

(Possible Motive for why Samsung does that: When a phone manufacturer [other than Apple, here] displaces the Android Files app, for the phone manufacturer’s file manager - in your case, My Files app - the phone manufacture may be trying to nudge you toward using the phone manufacturer’s “cloud drive.”)

You: I open click on it [the file you selected in My Files] and it takes me to Brave,

Me: I am assuming you mean, that in order to open the file, you clicked on it in your phone’s My Files collection.

Sounds like the My Files app (in lieu of the Android Files app) on your phone, has been set, such that Brave is supposed to get the task to open a file type — usually indicated by the filename extension, such as .htm or another file type — that Brave can open.

You: I then either open it, or I download it for viewing later.

Me: You “then either open it” — presumeably using Brave?

Me: Or, you “download it for viewing later.” But you already downloaded the file — you stated before, that the file of interest is in your My Files collection. OR, you might mean, that you skipped the download and defer to later.

You: When I download using Chrome it appears immediately in [Chrome?] Downloads, and I am asked if I want to open it to select an app. I typically select Adobe Acrobat. Then I can save to device or Cloud.

Me: OK

You: This does not happen with Brave. It [the file of interest, listed in your My Files collection] does not show on Brave in Downloads.

Me: The file of interest would not show in the Brave > Downloads, because the file is in your My Files collection, and you apparently have not taken steps to copy / move the file to the Brave > Downloads.

There is not likely (at this time) some notification process, such that the notification process allows the My Files app to notify Brave Browser for Android . . . and thereby, looking at the Brave > Downloads, you would see mention of the file of interest (parked back in the My Files collection).

You: If I try a second time to download, *it asks “Do you want to download again?”

Me: Probably because, you have already downloaded the file to your My Files collection . . . and the source of the question is the My Files app. (Brave is likely not asking the question.)

So, My Files wants to know if you want to download the file of interest again, to the My Files collection on your phone.

You: So I went to My Files to be certain it shows there in Downloads, which it does, as you can see in the screenshot,

Me: Yes

You: but when I try to open it, I get the message in the second screenshot, so it appears Brave does not link to the download.

Me: If the file of interest, that you selected in your My Files collection, is tasked by the My Files app, to be opened by Brave . . . BUT Brave is not able to open the file that you selected, then you very likely would get some message reporting an error / failure / warning, such as you posted:

“All apps associated with this action, have been turned off, blocked, or not installed.”

That kind of statement may, or may not, be accurate — but it likely indicates something went wrong. As in, the My Files app and the Brave Browser for Android app.

Meanwhile, your “it appears Brave does not link to the download [back at the My Files collection]” is very likely correct.

You: Without that link, my phone lacks an app to open the file, and I have no idea how to add it.

Me: 1st, let’s assume that the My Files app tried to task Brave with a file type that Brave would not open (nor have some facility to open) the file of interest.

2nd, let’s assume that the My Files app correctly tasked Brave with a file type that Brave should have been able to open, somehow.

In those 2 assumptions, is the puzzle to be studied by Brave Support, in my view re the difficulties they face, when trying to narrow down, “Where is the problem?”

Yet, you may be able to solve the puzzle, by learning more about the details of how the My Files app works — how it assigns the tasks for opening files, for example. And you might indeed, solve the problem.

Perhaps you will find, that in the My Files app settings, you can correctly assign tasks to Brave, and otherwise to app’s aboard your phone.

You: On Chrome, where the download appears in Chrome’s Download list, the downloads open as I open them from the Chrome Downloads List.

Me: The My Files app, likely notifies the Chrome Downloads list, because the My Files app has a setting that has been enabled to do that.

Apologies for any errors of mine.

1 Like

Damn dude, that’s a huge reply.

Must have taken you ages… Hopefully it helps them.

“Ages” - almost 2 hours.

It was worth the effort, because a lot of digging was required to get to the heart of Karen’s frustration — and finding that she might be able to solve the problem herself, thru study of Samsung’s My Files app.

She may find, that the My Files app does have the ability to

• assign a task of opening, assigned to Brave Browser for Android

• send a notification re files in the My Files collection, that could be opened in Brave Browser for Android . . . and therefore, the Brave Android developers arrange for a listing of the pertinent My Files collection, such that the list shows in, for example, a Downloads-Android folder along with the standard Downloads folder, within the Brave folder.

Given the latter possiblity, then Karen would have spotted files of the My Files collection but displayed in the “Downloads-Android” folder . . . and she would have clicked on her choice.

Et viola - Brave retains a customer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.