Twitch no longer supports Brave

Seems Twitch may have done a recent update. When I try to login, I get an error that my browser isn’t supported. But it was just working a few days ago. My Brave version is up to date and this error occurs across both my desktop and laptop running Windows 11.

1 Like

Ok weird. The error just randomly went away and it’s working again.

1 Like

Weird because I’ve updated brave before searching the error on this forum, then realized my updated version wasn’t even the latest like yours. Thought it would fix the problem, but I still have the exact same error message as you, even after getting the latest version (the same you have).

You’re sure you did nothing and it simply work again. I just want to log in Twitch to access at least my streamers list to watch…

I have sometimes seen when the adblocker is on, it will say this browser is not supported. Once login without adblocker everything works

Hello community. It’s marked as “solved/solution” but this just happened to me.

I couldn’t log in into my account, but could watch the site and streams just fine. Decided that maybe there’s some “hidden popup” that shields was preventing. Disabled shields. Log in fine, except it wouldn’t accept my 2FA app code. So I had to do it through SMS.

Now, just to be sure, decided to modify/re-enable the 2FA app, and the QR code doesn’t load:

Like the site works, but it’s wonky for some reason.

Edit: To be clear, shields are OFF (I have no extra ad-block extension besides Brave shields either). So while that may have worked for the log-in, it didn’t work logging in with the 2FA app that was set up and when trying to do set it up agian, QR won’t load.

This is a Twitch thing. They are sniffing window.navigator to look for signs of Chromium browsers while claiming it’s because of “Browser Support”, which I can only assume is for some monetary reason.

Installing version 0.5.0 of UserAgent Switcher (the 0.6.x line doesn’t seem to be working correctly right yet, but you can grab 0.5.0 from a comment), using that via Developer Mode, and importing my config here bypasses the issue (unless / until they do something else dumb).

Hope this helps some folks.

Note, we use the same as Chrome/Chromium

1 Like

The “your browser not supported” Is a general error,

Clearing the browser cookies/cache often fixes it. (Also why another browser works and another doesn’t)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/ywym73/cannot_sign_in_your_browser_is_not_currently/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/18yvh2o/your_browser_is_not_currently_supported_please/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/18doqx6/your_browser_is_currently_not_supported_error/

The same what? Features? Sure. window.navigator? No, you expressly do not, or there wouldn’t be differences, which there are — see window.navigator.brave for one, but there are many more differences than that. Chrome and Chromium don’t even use the same stuff. I’m not faulting Brave for this in the slightest, but it is targetable.

I’m pretty sure the clearing the cache, cookies, etc. is just helping folks who are getting “wrongfully” locked out to get the latest client-side files, because they seem to be editing this a lot. As such, nearly all of the folks in these Reddit threads you’re linking are not using Brave. This is something new that seems to have been rolled out in the last few weeks, even if they are indeed lumping a lot in under that error message.

Clearing everything was the very first thing I tried, and I couldn’t get in for a full two days before I decided to see if I could figure out what was up. First thing I noticed was I could log in on a blank Google Chrome profile, but not a blank Brave, even if I disabled shields, etc.

If I disable my above fix and clear things to a fresh session (clear cookies, local storage, session storage, F12, right-click refresh → Empty Cache and Hard Reload), I can once again no longer log in. Re-enable it, and it goes back to working. Something I’ve put in there is something they’re targeting. Once I got it working, I didn’t bother to narrow it down.

We already counter window.navigator.brave checks on twitch.tv, But I don’t think twitch is targeting Brave, given this specific error affects other browsers

And don’t just take my word for it, look for yourself. F12, Console > navigator, or console.log(window.navigator) depending on your preferences. Here’s what mine looks like; Brave on the left, Google Chrome on the right:

That may well be so, I have no idea how to tell what y’all’re countering in that way, but besides just the properties being different, they have different values in some places, and Chrome will volunteer the version numbers besides Major. Check e.g. BrowserLeaks.

I’m not saying a website can’t intentionally fingerprint or detect Brave, I’m saying this error on twitch is more of a general error that occurs on other browsers (as reddit and probably other forums will show). Could be server side issue also.

Of course if it’s only Brave users saw this message, then its something different. But its not.

Unrelated, enable Experimental List in brave://settings/shields/filters Will block twitch ads

I understand, though I do think they are specifically targeting fork browsers in order to reduce complaints — or perception of complaints — from users with “custom” browsers. I think that, while the error is indeed general, the behavior the past few weeks is targeting (at least) Brave. I have turned a lot of folks onto this browser from Chrome, and I’ve had several come to me complaining of this issue this past week since I’m the person who showed them this browser. My fix worked for all of them so far; I strongly suspect it’s something in navigator.userAgentData.brands or .fullVersionList most of all.

Likewise, folks who are on Twitch enough that they haven’t logged out do not seem to be having this issue, as it’s only on log-in, for whatever reason.

Ah, duly noted. Was having trouble getting that to work via uBlock, will try that, thanks.

I mean, there seems to be other major issues with Twitch in Brave anyway… The audio/video going out of sync is horrible.

I decided to move back to Brave from using Chrome - and I never saw this behaviour in Chrome or Firefox. The video desync is so bad, after 15-20 minutes of watching a stream, the video can lag behind the audio by 3-4 seconds.

I don’t know what is causing it, but it doesn’t seem to happen on any other web site - so unless Brave has some ‘special’ handling for Twitch, then something weird is going on…

EDIT: I should mention this is in Fedora 40 (so, linux)… I’ve tried messing around with any of the GPU flags, but nothing seemed to improve the situation, so have reset those to defaults…

Late reply, but in case anyone comes here after searching for the error in the future:

You can still log in.

Even though it gives that error, it will allow you to log in if you simply press the login button a second time. The UI doesn’t make it clear, nor does it encourage you to press the login button again. But it works.

1 Like

I noticed disabling the addon Decentraleyes made it possible to sign in. Then u can just activate it again. Tried everything else this was the problem for me.

I know localCDN also had issues previously, some extensions cause massive issues

Anyone wanting to test the new twitch rules,

• Enable Experimental list in brave://adblock
  • Enable your favourite twitch extensions.

Does it cause any issues (like the previous black screen) or anything?