This site can't provide a secure connection (since 4/17/24 update)

Description of the issue: Since updating Brave browser on 4/17, a lot of sites I used to be able to visit are no longer accessible. I keep receiving ‘This site can’t provide a secure connection’ and ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR issues. Clearing site data does not help. Ironically, I am only able to access community.brave.com via private window to post this.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Update Brave Browser to latest version
  2. Visit community.brave.com or support.brave.com or fortamoto.com
  3. Receive 'This site can’t provide a secure connection.

supportbrave

Expected result: Access website.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.65.114 Chromium: 124.0.6367.70 (Official Build 64-bit)

Additional Information: Even if I disable shields, disable HTTPS Only connection, I still receive these error messages. Everything was working fine just before the 4/17 update, so I don’t know what’s changed and it’s incredibly frustrating not being able to access my frequently visited websites.

Can you please try creating a fresh profile and testing the behavior there (be sure you close the original profile window before testing)?

Hi Mattches,

Trying to view the link you provided in a private window, but I’m receiving the same error message:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

community.brave.com sent an invalid response.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Are you asking me to just create a new Brave profile, close out all Brave windows and then re-launch Brave selecting the new profile to test?

Mattches,

I created a new test profile, closed all original windows and Brave in general and re-launched:

Guessing other secure sites don’t work?

• Check the date is correct.
  • Clear browser data via brave://settings/clearBrowserData
  • Maybe brave://settings/reset

Check Chrome also, does that show an error?

Hi fanboynz,

That’s correct. I’ve done the recommendations you suggested last night when I was initially running into this issue, absolutely perplexed why my other sites weren’t working.

Some sites I visit, such as fortamoto dot com, nzbgeek and so forth were presenting the initial ‘warning’ message, before I clicked ‘continue’ to visit the site which resulted in a similar error message. Initially, a majority of my websites that I typically visited were experiencing this issue - but when the actual Brave sites started exhibiting this error message, I was flabbergasted. If I could revert my Brave build update to before 4/17/24, I would absolutely love to as last night’s update (I tend to always check for updates for the Brave browser via the About Brave option) absolutely crippled me from logging into my standard fare of tabs.

Disabling the shields, HTTPS, browser data, the aforementioned profile checks as well as also running a quick brave://components update check wasn’t helping me. I loathe having to use any other browser as I’ve grown fond of Brave and was curious if anyone else was experiencing this also.

Right now, I’m responding via email because I’m unable to view the forums in the standard window or in a private window (as I initially was able). Absolute loss for words on my end.