TheRokuChannel playback peculiarity in Brave browser

Description of the issue: There is a peculiarity when playing live video stream from therokuchannel.roku.com. This service has periodic commercial breaks as part of the video stream. With the Brave Shields enabled, these commercial breaks do not play but are replaced by a rotating ‘Waiting Activity’ logo in the browser display. When the commercials are over and the video stream is playing again, things are working fine. If I turn off the Brave Shields, everything works fine. I am not sure if this is normal operation or not. Obviously Brave Shields are working as expected, but I am not sure if the rotating ‘Waiting Activity’ logo is what is desired. Not a problem, but just an interesting data point.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Just go to therokuchannel.roku.com and find any live stream that has commercials included. The live stream I was watching was Midsomer Murders.
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Spinning Waiting logo

Expected result:

Commercial playing

Reproduces how often:
Consistently

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Win10, 21H1, build 19043.1586, Brave
Version 1.36.122 Chromium: 99.0.4844.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

I actually find this kinda cool. lol I hate watching commercials! I would prefer the “Waiting Activity” logo. Silence, yes. Go refill beverage. When hear dialogue, you know commercials over and program has started again.

Athough I would wonder if something was “broke” the first few times I saw it!

Agreed. Commercials are not what I want to watch, but like you said, maybe this is something that needs awareness, Of course, it may be planned this way too. :wink:

1 Like

No way to block the advert, but did fix an issue where the video didn’t play (just endless loading)

Boooo! lol

@R_Welsh well, I guess it wasn’t a cool new feature! :rofl:

Well, I’m glad I reported a real issue.

@Chocoholic Sorry about that. :wink:

1 Like

Just so I am sure what was fixed, the issue I reported only happened with playback from Roku Channel when Brave shields were up. When I turned off Brave shields, the issue went away. So, the fix you put in corrects for an issue you saw when playback on Roku Channel was interrupted with the “spinner” while Brave shields were active, correct? I am just wanting to make sure what was fixed. Also, how long after commitment does something like this get patched in Brave? I just want to know whether I should be following up on this or not. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.