So here’s how to look at it:
- Auto-contribute table is designed to be (essentially) set and left alone. You opt-in to the feature, adjust settings, then browse and Rewards does it’s thing.
- When a-c is on, sites that accrue a percentage of your a-c donation based on attention given.
- Sites can be removed (yes, there’s a bug where sites are not getting removed from a-c list, working on a fix now) manually or excluded from a-c table in the Rewards panel (on a per-site basis)
- In addition, you can now tip content creators/channels by making a one-time payment (meaning you donate X amount of BAT once and that’s the end of transaction) or by making a recurring payment. The recurring payment will be withdrawn from your wallet every month. Note that this is a payment separate from the a-c donation.
The issue you have, as I understand it, boils down to “What if I don’t want to donate to some of the sites I visit every month? They may not need/deserve the money, or be unverified, or I may just not want to!”
We already went over the manual exclusion of sites in the a-c table. But the best way to ensure that you only donate to sites you care about is to adjust the minimum requirements for attention in your Rewards settings.
Rewards panel --> Rewards Settings --> Auto-Contribute and click the Settings icon:
Auto-Contribute Settings you’ll find several options to fine tune your Rewards activity, but we’re primarily interested in the
Minimum page time before logging a visit and
Minimum Visits for publisher relevancy options:
You can use these settings to filter out undesired websites from the table. When these options are combined with the manual removal option, you can configure Rewards to donate to your desired contributors.
For example, if I do a lot of web browsing I may accrue a rather large Rewards table with a ton of sites I’ve visited, even if I only visited them once in the entire month. However, there are only a handful of websites I wish to donate to and I generally spend more time on these sites/channels than others. To solve this issue, I’d go into a-c settings as described above and change my parameters to something like:
- Min. page time = 1 Minute
- Min. Visits = 5 Visits
Using these settings, sites will now only be added to the a-c table if I have visited the website at least 5 times within the contribution date. Additionally, Rewards will now delay logging attention to a site until I’ve been engaged with it for at least one minute.
If I visit community.brave.com every single day and spend lots of time here, it will have a large chunk of my contribution percentage. However, I also visited Microsoft.com a few times this month. However, I don’t tend to linger there for more than a minute.
Microsoft will not be included in my a-c table in this scenario. For that to happen, MS would need to be not excluded manually from a-c table, I would need to visit MS at least 5 times within the a-c month and remain on the page (after the 5th visit) for longer than a minute.
It may seem “complicated” at first glance, but its actually fairly straightforward, and was designed so that anyone can configure and use it. “Set it and forget it”, as it were.
Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need any additional explanation.