The adblocker is not working

The integrated adblocker of Brave hasn’t been working for the last 3 days, although I have it configurated in “Agressive” mode. I wouldn’t like to have to get an adblocker extension, so please help me with this.

Version of Brave:

Proof:

Can you force an update Brave Ad Block Updater in brave://components/

I see 2 components for the adblokcler, the Brave Ad Block List Catalog and the Brave Ad Block Resources Library. The second one is updated, but the first one it says “update error” and doens’t update.

@fanboynz not sure if you can work on it or at least help ping the right people, but I just created a Github on this.

@Koxt I’m going to ask you to try two different things:

1. Open Brave as an administrator. Does this make any difference?

2. Go to https://brave.com/download/ and install Brave on top of your existing. To be clear, don’t uninstall Brave. By leaving as is and installing again, it can force a manual update.

3. Create a new browser profile. If not sure how to do this, go to Hamburger Menu imageMore ToolsAdd new profile. This creates a second profile in Brave. I’m assuming it will make no difference, but just check out of curiosity if you can do the components update in the new profile.

4. If none of the above work, try with Brave Beta or Brave Nightly and see if you have the same issue there or if it works.

NOTE

Didn’t mention in the above, but I guess other thing you can check is if you have a DNS or firewall running. If so, perhaps disable them and see if it makes a difference.

Hey, running Brave as administrator did work, but for some reason it doesn’t open external links anymore.

I click on some links that I have in a wp group and none of them open, could you explain why this happens?

Anyway, thank you for the adblock part.

Update about my previous answer

Since now I have to run Brave as administrator in order for the adblocker to work, I decided to try the point number 2.

It didn’t work, the browser didn’t updated itself, but insted installed itself again, so it had 2 Brave browsers and in any of them the adblocker was working.

About point 3, I don’t know what you mean when you say “Hamburger”, I don’t find any similar in configuration, either.

I’ll try the other options later, or not and keep using the first solution.

Was the initial install of Brave in Admin user mode? or another user?

I showed you the icon. The image is called hamburger menu. It’s on the top right of your browser window.

I know I’ve tagged in devs and they are trying to reproduce or figure out what is causing the issue. I’m limited on what I can do beyond offering a few potential solutions.

Big thing, @Koxt, is I’m hoping you don’t mind taking time to answer some of the questions as they ask. It might be able to help in understanding what’s going on and not only fix the problems for you but also to prevent it from occurring again in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

For those of you who are experiencing the issue — would you be able to DM me logs?

• Windows: start Brave (not as admin) from Command Prompt via "C:/Program Files/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Application/brave.exe" --args --enable-logging --v=1 and then share with me the resulting chrome_debug.log from %localappdata%/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/User Data
  • macOS: start Brave (not as admin) from Terminal via /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave\ Browser --args --enable-logging --v=1 and then share with me the resulting chrome_debug.log from ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

Also, could you let me know if you’ve launched Brave as admin before (excluding the times when you attempted to fix the ad blocker), and if so, why it was necessary?

Thanks!