Description of the issue:
I am stumped, but all my attempts to hide my location from Google in Brave have failed. I am behind a VPN (paid NordVPN, and on occasion free ProtonVPN), and as far as I can tell I have disabled all options in the Settings that could lead to this. Since I don’t know exactly what to turn/off, I ended up trying a lot of options:
- Shields > Trackers & ads blocking > Aggressive.
- Security and Privacy > Clear browsing data > On exit > Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, Autofill form data, Hosted app data.
- Security and Privacy > Cookies and other site data > Block third-party cookies, Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows, Send a “Do Not Track” request with your browsing traffic, Always clear cookies when windows are closed (I added google.com).
- Security and Privacy > Security > Use secure DNS > Cloudflare (22.214.171.124).
Regardless, every time I start Brave (on Linux desktop or laptop, same behavior), if I visit Google or Google Maps, it shows me my real area with great accuracy. However, when I visit IP location websites such as https://www.iplocation.net/, it does show me the location chosen through the VPN.
I tried disabling all extensions (I have a few for security, like uBlock Origin, minerBlock, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere), but the problem remains: Google knows my location after a clean restart. Even in a private tab this is the case, even though this is meant to use Tor (Extensions > Private Window with Tor is On).
I tried to use the Tor Browser to see whether this behavior was the same. It is not: Tor Browser does hide my IP on Google pages as expected.
What exactly am I missing? I am positive there is some option that I need to (un)check or something that I need to clean, can someone put me on the right track? Really appreciated!
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
- Set up Settings options as explained above.
- Restart Brave.
- Visit google maps at https://www.google.com/maps
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Google displays my location quite accurately in spite of my efforts to stop this behavior.
Google does not know my location.
Reproduces how often:
All the time.
Operating System and Brave Version(See the
About Brave page in the main menu):
Arch Linux, Brave Version 1.34.81 Chromium: 97.0.4692.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)