Spell Check Gone Amok? — Words being changed inappropriately

Description of the issue:

As far as I know, the spell check feature is only supposed to flag words that it thinks are misspelled, underlining them in red. It’s not supposed to actually change any words for me, is it?

In the past week or so, I have occasionally noticed that text that I have typed into internet forums, have words that are not the words I typed. They are similar words, words that a spell check algorithm might guess as words that I might have meant in place of words that it thought were misspelled, but they are words that I know I did not type.

I have noticed what appear to be similar errors, lately, once in a while, in other people’s postings as well.

Is it possible that the spell check feature is now occasionally trying to “help” by substituting words that it does not recognize, with words that it assumes the user meant? What do I need to do to stop this from happening?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

I cannot reproduce it. It just seems to randomly happen, once in a while.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

A different word is entered than the one that I typed.

An example that I just saw, today, is at the thread at http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/lgbtq-advocacy-group-promotes-transponder-themed-books-for-children-during-reading-event.808797/#post-24138647. It wasn’t me, but someone else who started this thread. He probably even copied/pasted the subject line, so he didn’t even type the word that got changed, but in his subject, the word “transgender” got changed to “transponder”. I assume this is an occurrence of exactly the same bug that I am trying to report. If not, then at least it is a very good dramatization of this bug.

Expected result:

The word that I type is entered, and if the spell check does not recognize it, it is underlined in red.

Reproduces how often:

I don’t know. I’ve probably noticed three or four instances in the past couple of weeks. I wonder how many other instances I failed to noticed.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

I’m running whatever the latest version of Brave is, under Windows 10.

Additional Information:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.