Some websites block the Brave browser regardless of ad settings

Access to some websites is blocked even though I am NOT blocking ads on those sites. If I spoof Firefox, the sites are unblocked.

nbcnews.com, alternet.org

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
NO

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
No, they do not.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.17.75 Chromium: 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am able to access both sites you listed with shields up.

Ditto, I’m blocking all ads and it’s working perfectly.

So it’s a mystery. I will continue to use my work-around of spoofing the Firefox browser when I visit those sites until I can get a chance to search down the problem.
Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the information. So I know the problem is not with the the websites. I thought that they were doing something to block the Brave browser.

@jwbales,
Can you tell me what Operating System you’re using? Additionally, what happens when the site is “blocked”? Does it not load, is a message displayed?

It very rarely happens, but if a website target’s Brave directly we have counter tools to fix it.

1 Like

I am using Ubuntu 20.04. The site response is the same whether or not ads are blocked. There is a popup asking me not to block ads. Clicking on a button of the popup brings up another popup telling how to unblock ads depending upon what browser one is using. After doing all this, one is brought back to the main site where the original popup reappears about 90% of the time.

I have solved the issue.

It was the DuckDuckGo privacy extension which disables trackers. When I toggled it to OFF on those two sites, I was able to use the sites.

Sorry for the false alarm.

1 Like

@jwbales,
No worries – was just coming to suggest that it may be an extension issue. Looks like you got there faster than me!