Snap install hangs and crashes after 3-4 seconds (post update?)

Description of the issue:

Brave is responsive for 3-4 seconds then hangs before ultimately terminating.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Open Brave installed via Snap.

Instances installed via repo are working fine however this doesn’t help me as I need the profile on the Snap install.

Terminal logging looks like:

Gtk-Message: 14:30:57.335: Not loading module “atk-bridge”: The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(brave:14414): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:30:57.367: GTK+ module /snap/brave/331/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
Gtk-Message: 14:30:57.367: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

(brave:14414): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:30:57.368: GTK+ module /snap/brave/331/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
Gtk-Message: 14:30:57.368: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
[14414:14414:0114/143057.381213:ERROR:policy_logger.cc(156)] :components/enterprise/browser/controller/chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(161) Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled. Please use the --enable-chrome-browser-cloud-management command line flag to enable it if you are not using the official Google Chrome build.
tracing_subscriber - init success
[14414:14414:0114/143057.726218:ERROR:CONSOLE(2247)] “[Brave Settings Overrides] Appearance Page cannot find use default theme button template”, source: chrome://settings/settings.js (2247)
[14414:14414:0114/143100.611691:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(577)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.GetActive: object_path= /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: This method is not implemented
[0114/143121.489099:ERROR:ptracer.cc(605)] ptrace: Input/output error (5)
[0114/143121.511481:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found
[0114/143121.521760:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found
/snap/brave/331/opt/brave.com/brave/brave-browser: line 48: 14414 Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) “$HERE/brave” “$@”

Expected result:
Browser functions as normal.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:
Incognito window is no better.
I have managed to get in to settings and switch on to / off of GTK themeing before the browser hangs but it makes no difference.

e - also: /snap/brave/331/gnome-platform/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so does not exist, there is no gnome-platform dir.

Out of curiosity, why do you need it from Snap? To be clear, I’m asking as someone who has only ever used Windows and knows little to nothing about Linux. So sincerely know nothing on the pros or cons of Snap vs their direct repository.

From what I’m thinking, both work and it’s just like on Windows where I can either download directly from Brave or I can go through Windows app store. Always more beneficial to get directly from the source.

One of the bigger challenges is that I know Brave has said:

You can find Brave in the Snapcraft Store, but while it is maintained by Brave Software, it is not yet working as well as our official packages. We currently recommend that users who are able to use our official package repositories do so instead of using the Snap.

So I kind of translate that to being: It's available, but we recommend you don't use it.

I know when @Mattches gets back, he’ll be able to walk you through some things possibly. Keep in mind Support generally just works on the weekdays USA time. It’s Saturday night as you posted this, so can be a couple days before you get a response.

Are you able to try to create a new profile through the hamburger menu?

If not, maybe try changing your launch command on Brave to --profile-directory=[TestProfile] (I think that works…)

Out of curiosity, why do you need it from Snap?

I don’t - this is just the install I’ve been working from for the past 12 months (it only stopped working today) and so it has the profile and extension settings I need for work.

One of the bigger challenges is that I know Brave has said…

Yeah this is what prompted me to try a repo install, fwiw I’ve had no issues with the Snap repo until now AND

If not, maybe try changing your launch command on Brave to --profile-directory=[TestProfile]

I thought this worked but it didn’t, and later i accidentally opened brave while I had chrome open and now all my chromium browsers have the same issue WTF.

PS - thanks heaps for the reply.

1 Like

I’m actually seeing this replicated all over the place on Chromium 116 (https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=155994 for eg) - sounds like it was fixed in 117.

Update lmao:

If not, maybe try changing your launch command on Brave to --profile-directory=[TestProfile]

I thought this worked but it didn’t, and later i accidentally opened brave while I had chrome open and now all my chromium browsers have the same issue WTF.

After working in the beta build, same issue with that install after a reboot now also…

@SPEGER,
I would recommend, as @Saoiray mentions, installing via our official package. If you want all your data though it might get tricky.

Truthfully I’m actually not clear on where snap installs the profile data but I know that it is a different place than in regular packages. You should be able to move your profile directory (your “user data” folder) over and retain most if not all of your profile data.

If you want to try this, I would recommend making a backup for two of the profile directory/user data from the snap install before proceeding. Then, simply uninstall the snap version of Brave, re-install using our package, then try copy/paste/replacing your saved profile directory over the newly installed one in .config.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.