Shortcut keys in Brave's menus are displayed as question marks

I recently loaded Brave on my MacBook Pro. Seems to be working great so far except for one little quirk: if I click any of the menus in the menu bar across the top of the screen, the menu is drawn as you would expect but the shortcut/hotkey combination to the right of the different menu items is displayed as a box with a question mark in it instead of something like “Command Letter” or “Option Command Letter”. I’m attaching a screen grab to illustrate the issue.

I don’t see this happening in any other applications, only Brave. All of the menus look this way, not just the File menu. In fact, even the Apple menu in the top left has the question marks while Brave is the active application, but looks normal when any other application is active.

Brave version 1.32.113
MacOS version 11.6.1

@Chuck14,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
Not going to lie, I’m not sure I have ever seen this particular issue before! To be clear, this is only happening the OS system menu – if you open the Brave menu, for example, the shortcuts appear as normal?

Every menu in the menu bar across the top of the screen does this whenever Brave is the active application. The second I switch to any other application, the shortcut key combinations are displayed properly in the menus.

Hang on, just did some more testing and it’s not just Brave. The menus look fine in some apps like Finder, Gnucash and Slack, but they’re messed up (with the question marks) in other apps like Stickies, Terminal, and BBEdit. What’s really interesting is that some Microsoft Office apps (OneNote, Excel, Word) show the menus correctly but PowerPoint shows them with the question marks. So I’m not sure if it’s anything to do with Brave or not. I just noticed it for the first time after installing Brave, but I also recently did a MacOS system update from 11.6 to 11.6.1. Maybe that broke something and I just didn’t notice it right away…

After a reboot, the shortcut key combos are now being displayed properly in all applications. I don’t know what could have been causing the menus to be drawn incorrectly, but it seems it was nothing to do with Brave. Sorry for the false alarm.

@Chuck14,
No worries – I appreciate you updating this post and letting me know. Glad to hear it’s all working correctly.

Closing this thread as solved for now, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other additional questions or concerns.