Settings >Autofill > Password Manager > "Never Saved" sites still saving User Name - how to stop it?

Hi All,

Settings >Autofill > Password Manager > “Never Saved” sites still saving user name, how to prevent the Brave Browser from doing this?

Never Saved should mean never save “all” login info correct? It is properly not saving the passwords but I don’t want it to save the user names either.

1 Like

Hello @NoOneInParticular

Thank you for reaching out and we’re happy to assist you. Can you kindly be more specific? I understand that you don’t want your username known but can you provide a site or two in which you can confirm this behavior happened? If so, I can test on my end and try to reproduce the issue.

Additionally, please use guest mode to see if this behavior persists.

Be waiting for your response!

Hi Alice2095,

Thank you for your reply. I’d rather not share in a forum but it’s a credit card company. The user name is not immediately filled in, but the moment I click inside the field it displays the user name (not the password so that part still works correctly), but it should not be remembering the username with an auto fill at all.

Is there a way to clear one specific site’s autofill?

This does not happen on that site with any other web browser.

Thanks

1 Like

@NoOneInParticular Hi and welcome to the community.

Just curious about this and wanted to confirm that the same thing happened when you tried in a guest window. If the same behavior does not occur in guest mode, have you tried clearing history/cache for all time? May be a glitch that is lingering around. Also, may be an indicator that an extension is causing a problem. If you have any extensions installed, try disabling them and check if behavior still occurs.

Finally, are you updated to the latest Brave version? The current version is 1.46.144.

I vaguely remember this happening to me in the past but I cannot remember how I resolved the issue! Please post an update! Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Alice,

Thanks again for following up on this. OK I checked the following:

1. I have the latest Brave version:
    Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (arm64)

2. Tried to access the credit card website in a “Private” window and the same occurs.
    Note: That credit card company’s site won’t open in TOR - access denied I tried that too.

3. I have too many sites I need cached for work so I’ll try to locate the cookie for that site and delete it. If not, I’ll contact that company’s support team and ask them for the cookie name.

If that clears it, I’ll come back to this forum and let you know. :slight_smile:
Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello again! @NoOneInParticular

Thanks for your reply we appreciate the details. Could you kindly go to Settings > privacy and click cookies and other site data. Then select Sites that clear cookies when you close them or sites that can always use cookies and add the website (be sure that other options aren’t checked) Then press clear data .

Let me know if that works!

1 Like

Nope it didn’t work. Very persistent.
And I even went back into autofill, took it off the “do not save password list”, closed the browser, reopened it and tried to log into that site - it asked me if I wanted to save the password and I chose “no” thinking it might clear that field, but after closing and opening the browser again that “User Name” field still retained the name when I clicked inside of it.

It must be some code in their cookie. I’ll find out what the cookie name is and clear it and get back to you.

Thanks again for thinking about this. :slight_smile:

OK I finally found the solution! The form field itself is not auto-populated (I should have mentioned this if I didn’t earlier). When I click inside the User ID area it then displays a “dropdown” box that shows the User name (which I did not want it to remember).

The way to clear that dropdown box is to do this:

Note that you can also clear individual instances of data in the drop-down menu by typing it (or part of it) into the [relevant form/text field], using the down arrow to highlight/select the term you’d like to delete, then press Shift + Delete (or Shift + FN + Delete on macOS)

So I tested this, it works to clear the User ID form dropdown selection box, however, after logging back into the site (and logging off), I tried it again and it will save it every time! So I now have to remember to clear that field after logging off.

Brave should not be saving that User ID as a dropdown choice if I have that site set in the Autofill “Never Saved” area. That should override saving any data that is entered into a form field on the sites set to “Never Saved”. This is either an oversight in the code or a bug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.