Self tipping for creators

Hi.

I actually heard about Brave browser from some sort of airdrop website. There, Your promotion was described as free tokens, that you can transfer to your creator Youtube channel.

I had some free BATs for the beginning, I transferred them all to my own Youtube account as a tip. I did not receive those a tip, so I tried again and again, until my free BATs were spent. So I started looking up the forums, and only then i learned about the delay in payments or the prohibition for self tipping.

Guys, what the hell? Why do you allow a feature, that You ban somewhere in small print in some sort of user agreement? Even if you feel no problem with that, as you can see, you open yourself for misinformation from third parties.

I literally had no idea I could not do this. Maybe add a block to self tipping? Or if you feel lazy, maybe add a big honking text, warining not to self tip? If your system starts banning innocent users, You will get a lot of bias, I’m sure.

I really love the browser so far, I think that was just some unforseen circumstance, but there you have it. Please, try to do something with it! And please don’t block me or smthn :smiley:
Boy, I was mighty suprised to see, that my account can get suspended for this.

3 Likes

Hi @LukaszGuc, I checked and you’re definitely not suspended. We’re okay with SMALL amounts of self-tipping to just test how the system works – it’s larger amounts that we are not okay with. Understandable that you’d be confused as it’s more or less a gray area at the moment.

Send me a DM and we can look into refunding you any BAT that you lost. :slight_smile:

Why is self-tipping banned at all?

1 Like

@Mason Because of bot accounts tipping one receipient - golddiggers. Idea is to change the financing method for Internet creators. Those people abuse it.

@Asad - I think I did not really loose anything in the process. Those few BATs are waiting for payout on my Uphold Creators Account. I just pointed out a fresh user feedback. Lack of easily accessible info was the real issue for me :wink:

No harm done to me anyway, You don’t have to reimburse anything. Thank You for your help and concern. Quality service indeed :slight_smile: I wish your team good luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anti-fraud, more or less :slight_smile:

Can I self tip my channel from BAT earned through ads?

1 Like

Yes, that should be fine :slight_smile:

hi, can I self tip my YouTube account from the earned bats I got from the ads? pls, and why I didn’t receive the tips I sent for this February 2020, I self tip but it wasn’t sent to my uphold. I’m worrying that I cannot receive again for this March. pls, tnx. I hope that it’s just ok to self tip esp if it’s through the ads, tnx.

then how does the system distinguish between self tips and normal tips from users?
because it’s very fatal right? can cause suspension?

@Asad is it ok to self tip by sending small amounts of BAT multiple times, or large amounts of BAT (10 BAT) a few times? Which way is less triggering for human self tipping like me?

We recommend at this point that you do not self tip AT ALL.

Doing so will very likely get your account suspended, and even if you are cleared, there will be no way to get back that BAT you self-tipped.

I’ve been looking into this issue of self-tipping as I only recently became aware that it was discouraged. I’ve tried to pull together everything I could find on the subject into one blog post - hope that some people find it useful.

1 Like

@Asad

I understand this is a sensitive issue - but correct me if I’m wrong, there is no official policy written anywhere about this. Only various quick messages on the forum which sometimes send contradicting (and confusing) messages…

For example, when someone asked if he could tip his Youtube channel, you replied yes (here: Self tipping for creators - #8 by Asad), but here you consider that for people having a self-hosted solution it’s not. So it’s OK to de-google your browser (ie using Brave), but not degoogling your platform (ie not using Youtube, or by extension Twitter) when publishing…

Then, there are messages saying it’s not OK to self-tip with BAT that have an expiry date, but it’s OK to self-tip with the BAT collected while watching ads…

Moreover, except if I miss something (and I surely have!!), there is nothing in the Publisher Terms of Service nor in the various messages summarising how the system works (like the Common Publisher Questions).

Could you and the brave gurus have a thought about laying down Do’s and Don’t in a pinned post?

3 Likes

My bat is also suspended almost 22 bat that is not huge contribution plzz help me to get my bat