Safari Extension to set Brave Search as the Default Search Engine

Suggestion: Create an extension for Safari on iOS and iPadOS that would make Brave Search the default search engine in Safari.

Alternative Suggestion: If it is not possible to change the default search engine outright, enable a !bang that is just a space (example would read " test search") for Brave Search.

Why: Exposing Safari users to Brave Search would increase the visibility of Brave Browser and introduce more iOS users to the Brave ecosystem. Brave Search is an incredible search engine. In comparison to the search engines that are packaged with Safari (Google, Yahoo, Bing, DDG, and Ecosia), it has better results and much better UI than the others. In addition, Safari extensions on iOS and iPadOS must be packaged with a standalone app (eg Brave Browser). This structure would therefore require users to install Brave Browser in order to use the Safari extension packaged with it, which would increase downloads of Brave Browser.

Additional Note: There is already an extension on the app store (xSearch for Safari) that enables multiple and custom search engines; however, an extension directly from Brave would be much more trustworthy and presumably not behind a paid barrier.

Thank you for your consideration!

Edit: Hyperlink correction

Really like the idea of a Safari extension. This was the first thing I looked for in order to use Brave Search Beta for Safari on iPadOS.

With the CEO of DDG recently tweeting that they will support active political events to shape recommended search results, Brave needs to become more accessible to take up the mantle that DDG is dropping.

@newalexandria Agree. Due to that I am migrating the search engine in all my machines from DDG to Brave Search!

Made an account just to vote for this. I really like Brave Search, but without an extension for Safari I barely use it, and I also can’t recommend it to anyone else.

1 Like

DDG has always been a scam, regardless of political events: basically, it’s a re-branded Microsoft Bing, and how Microsoft could “protect privacy” is still a mystery. See also

I also just signed up on the community to put my vote towards a safari extension. I love the Brave browser, but I am also using Safari. Would love the convenience of not having to open https://search.brave.com to search.

1 Like

Hey all. I found this app that basically is a one for all safari extension. One of the great things is allows you to do is set any search engine as your default in iOS. Found it when trying out different search engines and mojeek recommended the app. It’s called Hyperweb.

It would be better if Brave implemented an extension into their app like Neeva have but for now, this app can do the trick.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Did you read their privacy policy? It is awful! Stay away from this hideous company. Here is a bit of it:

“While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:

• Usage Data””
    “Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.”

“The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
To contact You: To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication

To provide You with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer

• With Service Providers: We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, to contact You.

• With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions.”

There is more, but this is all I can get in here. I would stay away from this scam.

I like the idea, but it needs to be implemented properly - I used the one for Qwant search and with it on I couldn’t access any other search engine websites like Brave Search, DDG or Google. I’ve just been getting redirected to Qwant search results page with “null” input :crazy_face: Needless to say that I uninstalled it straight away.