Right click to open "New" or "Private" window not working

Description of the issue:
When attempting to open the browser by right clicking and selecting either the “New” or “Private” options, an error message is received. This happens when trying to open from the Start Menu, and/or when the Browser is already open and trying to right click the tab on the taskbar. *See attached screenshots below.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Unsure. This is something I assume must be “my issue” rather than an issue with the browser itself. I am an adept learner capable of following advanced directions (assuming they are good) but I couldn’t find anything online about this, i.e. using PowerShell, Command Prompt, etc. and I do not have the knowledge to investigate it without instructions. If this is a “one off” type situation that can’t be replicated then no worries as I am able to open new/private tabs off the browser drop down menu, and the browser itself still opens and works fine from Start Menu. I often used the “right click option” as a way of quickly opening a private browser without the intermediate step of opening the regular option first.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I had recently (2-3 days ago) done a “fresh start” of Windows 10 as I had a few odd glitches occurring - nothing to do with Brave nor effecting Brave. It was after that reinstall that Brave began having this issue for me. I thought perhaps it was due to having reinstalled the app from the file that was backed up in my files before doing the “fresh start”, so I uninstalled Brave & deleted the old file, then reinstalled it and nothing changed. However as a weird caveat, when I reinstalled Brave it came back to life with all my settings, bookmarks, etc. ready to go right off the bat, which doesn’t seem correct to me. I did have the browser synced to my phone, but I didn’t even need to re-establish a sync between this browser and the phone, which I did need to do after the “fresh start” the other day. After the uninstall, and after deleting the Brave files from file explorer I searched for “Brave” and had no results, so as far as I can tell there should have been no remnants of this program before I began the reinstall. I am also the lone user/account on this device. Another caveat is that the elapsed time from uninstall/delete to reinstall was likely less than 1 minute as I had the Brave website pulled up on Edge(:face_vomiting::rofl:) ready to reinstall and I have very fast internet connection/SSD – I’m not sure that could matter, like perhaps by some magical wizardry I had reinstalled it “too fast” and the program somehow took it upon itself to not actually delete the original file and scavenged the data from there. :man_shrugging:


I figured I would update this thread for the sake of being complete. :rofl: The issue I documented seems to have disappeared at some point in the last several days. I noticed that the Brave version is now –
Version 1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit) – so evidently it also updated in the past few days. Not sure if that was what fixed the issue, but it does appear to be properly working again!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.