Description of the issue:
Cannot start independent Private Window.
Can only start Private Window from normal Brave window
UPDATE: Just found earlier report Sep 2019 by @regnar of crashing when trying to start Private Window independently without starting normal window first
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
- Delete all previous versions of BraveBrowserSetup.exe from Downloads folder
- Uninstall Brave
- Search C:// for “Brave”
- Delete all references and links to Brave (if there are any and if I can tell if ok to delete)
- Open private window in Chrome
- Download and install latest Brave Browser
- Right click newly installed Brave icon to start new Private Window
- I get spinning wheel briefly then Nothing Happens
- Even after Brave has started, then still not able to open new Private Window with right click from Windows Start
- The only way I can start Private Window, is from normal Brave window,
- Cannot start Private Window independently from normal Brave window.
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
To be able to start New Brave Private Window independently, without having to start Brave normally and then open Private Window.
Reproduces how often:
I cannot start Private Window independently, have uninstalled, cleared, reinstalled 2-3 times over the past week or so.
a) To use Brave I have to
b) start in normal window
c) then open Private Window
d) then close normal window to use in Private Window mode
e) Uninstall and re-install done just before submitting this Topic 4 Jul 2021
f) 28 Jun 2021 uninstalled and re-installed with same result, Private Window will not start using right-click.
Operating System and Brave Version(See the
About Brave page in the main menu):
i) I just saw Brave is referenced in “Set defaults by app” under Chrome
ii) Before this reboot, IE was showing as default apps with Chrome, not Brave
iii) Now IE is not there and Brave is showing as default app for some items
iv) Not a clue if this might be related somehow, just mentioning before submitting this topic
v) before today’s uninstall – reinstall (4 July 2021) , was uninstalled – reinstalled 28 Jun 2021
vi) Before 28 June problem was happening about a week, maybe longer?
vii) Browser had been loaded for months
viii) Was going to uninstall and reinstall Chrome but decided to report this first
ix) PROTONMAIL: Today the landing page of Protonmail changed , doesn’t look right – looks like old flat version, with simpler graphics – or what is displayed on phone. I started Protonmail on Chrome and it displayed the same old – style graphics, not the more recent landing page.
STRONG PROBABILITY TAMPERED: I am trying to keep convicted fraudster out of my machine and emails: Alan John Jackson of Guernsey. I made Huge Mistake trying to give him chance doing business with him. Probability he is tampering with how Brave is starting
Screenshots of Default apps with Chrome and Brave when it was Chrome and IE before – not sure if relevant
Thanks for looking,