Reddit.com refuses to load

Description of the issue:
When opening reddit, the browser is unresponsable and tries to reload reddit thousand of times.
I have to force close brave before I can use my PC again.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open brave on win 11
  2. type reddit.com + enter in adressbar

Expected result:
Reddit site loading

Brave Version( check About Brave):
v1.61.101 (Dec 7, 2023)
Additional Information:
I already tried to clear cache and DNS
Check the number of requests at the bottom

Reddit was having server issues yesterday, might not be fully restored. For what it’s worth, I used Reddit for about 10 minutes this morning with no issues.

@brobrav,
Yeah I don’t think this is a Brave issue — everything seems to be working as expected. Can you please check again and tell me if you’re able to visit the site?

I have this problem since several days and every other browser is just working fine.

@brobrav,
Can you please tell me if you get the same results when:

• You visit reddit.com in a private browsing window?
  • If you create a new temp. profile (make sure you close your original profile window, so that only one window with the new profile is open) and visit reddit.com using the new profile?pr
1 Like

private window shows the same problem
new profile loads reddit without problem

What extensions do you have installed on your original profile?

snowflake / youtube sponsor block / url in title
update:
I deactivated all addons; restarted brave; problem with reddit still the same

Thanks for checking — certainly thought that would be the cause. Going to ask a couple of team members. To confirm, the site doesn’t load if you turn Shields off?

I couldn’t deactivate it for reddit as the browser is not responsive but if I deactivate it globally, reddit works
After switching the shield on again it still works…

That’s strange — and it still shows items being blocked when Shields are on now?

Looks like

Problem returned and reddit is rendering brave unusable

Problem returned? When you load reddit.com what occurs? also what about old.reddit.com? Does reddit load in private window mode?

1. Update Brave: Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Brave browser. You’ve mentioned version v1.61.101 from December 7, 2023, but check if there is a newer version available. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements.

2. Extensions/Plugins: Disable all extensions and plugins, then try accessing Reddit again. Sometimes, conflicts with extensions can cause browsing issues. If the problem is resolved after disabling extensions, you can enable them one by one to identify the problematic one.

3. Clear Browsing Data: Clear all browsing data, including cookies, cached images, and files. Sometimes, corrupted data can cause issues. You mentioned that you cleared the cache, but ensure you are clearing all relevant data.

4. Incognito/Private Mode: Try accessing Reddit in incognito or private browsing mode. This helps to identify whether the issue is related to your browser settings or extensions.

5. DNS Configuration: Double-check your DNS settings. You mentioned that you’ve already tried clearing DNS, but you might also want to check if your DNS settings are configured correctly. You can try using a different DNS server or use the default DNS provided by your ISP.

6. Firewall/Antivirus: Check if your firewall or antivirus software is blocking access to Reddit. Temporarily disable these security features to see if they are causing the problem.

7. Brave Settings: Explore Brave browser settings to see if there are any specific settings that might be causing the issue. Look for site-specific settings or preferences that could affect Reddit.

8. Check Network Connection: Ensure that your internet connection is stable. If you are using a VPN, try disabling it to see if it makes a difference.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.