Random music playing in active browser tab

I’ll be using Brave and randomly, audio begins to play in the tab. I’ve heard sports, music, and what sound like ted talks, or excerpts from films this past week.

How can this issue be reproduced?

I’m not sure what is prompting the tabs to begin playing audio randomly. It either plays for a few seconds and stops, or I mute it by clicking the audio symbol in the tab, or it plays until I type in the window.

Expected result:

I would like to be able to find out where I can disable that, or at the very least, understand why it is occurring and help the Brave developers figure out why this is happening, so that it can be fixed.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
I am using [
Version 1.43.93 Chromium: 105.0.5195.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

1 Like

It could be from the Brave News.

Check your settings. You can block sites not to play sounds, and define white and black lists.

brave://settings/content/sound

@Sovereign,
Thank you for reaching out and for the detailed report.

You mention that the audio plays in the active tab when this issue occurs — can you tell me if you this only happens when you’re on a specific website or if this issue occurs when you’re on any website? If it does only happen on a specific website, can you please tell me which website so I can test on my end and see if I get the same behavior?

Can you also tell me if you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time? If so which extensions?

@Mattches Hi there.
It happens to me too - on random time, on random active tab, on random website it plays sounds for a few seconds. It took me a while to notice that those are random youtube videos that I watched/listened a while back.
This strange behavior started like 3-4 Days ago.
My extensions:
Aliexpress Superstar
Keplr
Open Video Downloader
Selenium IDE
uBlock Origin
Video Downloader Plus
Video Downloader Proffesional
Video Downloadhelper

@Mattches now for the fisrt time - I noticed it started to play the sound on “not active” tab.

@mikulopm,
Can you please try disabling all of your extensions and test to see if the behavior persists? I would wager one of them is causing this strange behavior. Alternatively, you can also try to creating a new profile and testing the behavior this way

@Mattches hi, thanks fo reply.
I will try it and let you know.
But I have these extensions installed for a very long time and this strange behavior started suddenly only few day ago.

It only takes small changes to make big impacts. The extension would have been running find in the environment it was in. When Brave updated things (they’ve had some recent updates to new version number) and changed code around, then that changes the situation entirely for the extension. Sometimes they just run interference on each other. When that happens, it’s up to whoever makes the extension to make changes.

Don’t get me wrong, usually runs with no problems on updates. But there’s always potential that just one little change can cause conflicts or weird things to happen. So it’s always good to rule out.

(newest update was September 30, which would have been “only a few days ago”)

Yeah, I think some sort of bot exploited my browser. I found over 600 unauthorized likes in one of the Youtube Channels I manage. So, I’m sure those videos are what were randomly playing in the tabs I have open in the background, and the random sounds were occurring in tabs I wasn’t actively in, either. I’ve since turned off most of the plugins and have deleted the rest. I’ll see if that resolves the issue. I’m now concerned that whatever was exploiting the browser plugins and accessing my Youtube channel, wasn’t doing other things also. What can I do to ensure the accounts I’ve been using and logging into with Brave are secure if they were being exploited in the background without my knowledge?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.