Question on an old Brave version for Android 4.x

I have an Android powered media box, Samsung Homesync, which sadly hasn’t been updated for quite a few years, but I have successfully managed to run Brave on it for a long time. All of a sudden though (a few months ago), the Brave shield has stopped working completely. Could this be because the adblock lists Brave uses have been relocated to new URL:s? I tried uninstall/reinstall, but no luck. The only shield that works is Javascript, all the others appear dead.

Android is 4.2 and Brave is 1.0.61. Super ancient, I know, but I thought I’d ask anyway. Brave is far superior to any other browser I have tested on that box, so if there’s a workaround to get it working again, I’d be really happy. :slight_smile:

Tagging @fanboynz who could probably provide more insight and information.

I’m wondering if this has anything to do with Brave moving the lists formerly displayed in brave://adblock to brave://settings/shields/filters. So, maybe the relocation did impact your version. I do not know if there could be a workaround or not.

I can’t help, sorry. Just in awe that you were able to use your Android device at all until recently. Wow. :slightly_smiling_face: The Help Center article on system requirements states that Android 6 and later is required. Hopefully a tech savvy community member (that’s not me) may have some suggestions if you don’t get a response from a staff member.

Good luck and take care! :smiley:

No work around with older android versions, internal libraries get upgraded over time increasing android versions requirements (for privacy, security, performance improvements). Most (if not all) Android browsers do the same here also

Thanks for the input guys! :+1:t2: Maybe parts of Android 4 still gets updated somehow, even without a “real” OS update. Some apps have change their appearance over time, like the App Store app, and amazingly, there are even a few apps that are still maintained. Anyway, I’ll see if the source code for that old Brave version is still present on Github. If it is, I’ll see if it might contain some external URL:s for ad block lists.

EDIT: Looking at the current set of block lists (, some seem to get an update each year as additional files, so that explains why old browser versions will start to “leak” ads after a while.

Adblock improvements/fixes over time, not just lists. Not really a lists issues tbh

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.