Problems with video streaming services/websites while using brave

**Description of the issue: Noticed that most websites that belong to a television network or cable communications company (HBO, USA, Comedy Central, Comcast/Xfinity, etc, etc.) do not function properly while using Brave. Basically, can’t get any videos to load/play. Also having trouble signing into my TV provider on some of the websites which offer use with your cable subscription.

None of these issues occur when using chrome, safari, firefox… **

Issues still occur with and without VPN enabled…

Issues still occur whether all shields are on or off…

**Brave Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

3 Likes

@ztickman,
This is likely because you’ve not enabled/installed the Widevine plugin in Brave. If you’re not prompted to (you should be when landing on sites like Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, etc), make sure you have the option enabled in Settings --> Extensions:

1 Like

Widevine has been enabled the entire time… Any other ideas on what could be the root cause of all these problems ?

@ztickman,
I’m almost positive this is Widevine related given the information you’ve provided so far. Would you be able to share a screenshot or short screen recording of what it looks like when you try to view – for sake of ease – HBOGO content in Brave?

HBOGO appears to be working fine actually. The two websites I know for sure I’m having issues with are southpark.cc.com (South Park/Comedy Central) & usanetwork.com (USA Network). Video is not playing on South Park website and I cannot login with my cable provider on USA Network’s website (screenshots below).

1 Like

Also having issues with comcast/xfinity website which has been documented in posts on here multiples times along with ESPN/ESPN+ website which has also been documented in posts on here.

1 Like

@ztickman,
Thanks for reaching out. Looks like I’m seeing the same behavior on comedy central and usanetwork. I’ve pinged @fanboynz – one of our filter engineers – to take a look and see whats going on, hopefully will hear more soon.

Comcast/Xfinity issue is an oldie – been trying to make noise about it for a while:

I added your report to the thread as a +1 on your behalf.

1 Like

I am having the same issue with verifying my TV provider on A&E. Hopefully they’re able to find a solution.

hey guys, I play the role of #Barbaro from QueenOfTheSouth on USA network. Sorry to hear that USA network app is causing problems cause I don’t want our fans missing out on our shows. Season finale this week, BTW.

Unfortunately I’m also affected by this issue in regards to comcast/Xfinity not being able to load up in brave. Sucks even more with my home team Astros being in playoffs. I hope you guys can get this issue resolved for us… and more importantly, my USA network/ Queen of the South fans cause they are VERY special to us.

1 Like

Hey @wally I’ve made a fix for usanetwork.com. Because plenty of these streaming sites rely on lots of tracking, it’ll occasionally cause some issues. We basically have to find out what scripts are affected, and whitelist them (work around problematic script). I tested the free videos on usanetworks, since I’m a non-US citizen, I believe this should help (takes between 24-28hrs for an update to roll around);

Does testing in Brave beta makes a difference? Temporarily disable the site-trackers on usanetworks till the lists update.

Changes committed;

2 Likes

Regarding the southpark, its a cookie issue. Allowing all cookies on the site will fix it. Can you confirm @ztickman

2 Likes

thanks for looking into this… I’ll keep a look out and hope this does help.

1 Like

yep. was blocking third-party cookies but now i’m allowing all and it works. thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.