Problems with Brave's sense of my location

Description of the issue:
Hi there. Very happy to have discovered Brave, and migrated yet another piece of Google out of my online life.
My issue: the browser keep identifying my location as Seattle WA. I’ve never lived there (I’m in Portland, OR), and have no idea what element in my system would be giving Brave this impression. My Apple ID address listing is 100% correct, and I don’t have this struggle with Apple Maps, either on this MacBook or on iPhone. Yet when I go to search anything where location is an issue, I’m “doing it from Seattle”.
Nor can I figure out where in the app/preferences to adjust this. I’ve gone through everything several times and remain stymied. I’ve never had this problem with another browser, from Chrome to Firefox to Safari. HELP??? Thank you…

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. If I go to order food online where there’s no existing account.
  2. If I go to shop on a new website.

Expected result:

The app will recognize my Portland location and not keep mysteriously defaulting to Seattle.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.30.87 Chromium: 94.0.4606.71 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Additional Information:

@Kakreiger,
Thank you for reaching out to us.

When you go to those websites (to order food, shop ,etc) are you prompted by the browser to grant that site permission to access your location?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!
Occasionally. But that’s not my concern. It’s more like when I go onto the REI website, for example (where I’ve been shopping for over two decades), the site automatically shows Seattle as my nearest store. This also happens with several other stores which exist in both cities. Once I log in the issue goes away, of course. But I can’t for the life of me figure out where Seattle is coming from. (Is Brave headquartered there?) And this never happened in my 12+ years with Chrome as my primary browser.
Is there some way to inform the Brave app of where I live?

What does https://www.where-am-i.net/ show?

Hi Ryan.
Thanks for following up. It shows my correct location in Portland. However….
New example today: I went to order a pizza online from my go-to, Papa Murphys. Typed the name into DuckDuckGo and got the following page. Where’s Seattle coming from? This is exactly what’s happened with a number of other websites, from REI to New Seasons to Whole Foods, before I got to their webpages and logged in. It’s so random.
And…. I just went deeper into DDG’s settings and allowed them to access my location. Looks like this solved the problem. As a policy I don’t allow location tracking, but I do trust DDG.
Still curious about the Seattle hook……
Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.