Pop ups opening in new tabs, then trying to download virus on kimcartoon.li

Description of the issue:
Pop-up ads are opening new tabs on kimcartoon.li and trying to get you to save a file to your computer. It automatically opens the file explorer with the save button all ready to press. These are presumably some sort of virus. This happens almost any time you click anywhere on any page at kimcartoon
Exact URL of the website in question:
https://kimcartoon.li/
Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
yes
Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
n/a
Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
blocking scripts will make videos unable to play
Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.38.119 Chromium: 101.0.4951.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Opening https://kimcartoon.li/Cartoon/SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-14/Episode-7B-Sea-Man-Sponge-Haters-Club?id=104809 No popups so far, is there a specific url causing issues?

No specific URL, just happening if you click anywhere, like on a show title, or an episode, or the play button. I tested going to the exact page you tried and clicked the play button, new tab popped open with ad. I’ve been using Brave for a couple years, it seems that every once in a while, ads starting getting through on kimcartoon for a while, then they return to being blocked normally. I have just never gotten around to seeking help on the issue before.

Normally, I try closing out of tab as soon as possible. I’ve tried letting a few load and it seems there are a couple other things than just it trying to get you to download something. It also will sometimes come up with a simple google search in the new tab. Another is just a generic looking page with the notification asking to send notifications to your desktop.

Sure, investigating a fix. #edit Fix is incoming, give it 24/48hrs @stoutfif

Hi stoutfif,

Are you using a good Ad Blocker?, I highly recommend uBlock Origin as it is quite powerful at blocking ads and its inbuilt Pop up blocker is good.

For those really difficult hard to stop Pop ups try this extension:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/popupblocker/doklmegfghlnanggfgligimnnikiekde

It can block the opening of all new tabs and windows on websites that you add to a Blacklist, for me it has worked well and it has defeated Pop ups where all others have failed.

Thanks! Appears to have been fixed. Forgot to reply sooner.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I’ve looked into uBlock before. Right now, I just have AdBlock plus, in addition to the built-in Brave blockers. I rarely run into issues.

Hi stoutfif,

I understand your using Adblock plus, it is easier to use than uBlock Origin which requires more in depth knowledge.

However uBlock Origin is far more powerful, when used in its “Advanced” mode you can block almost anything.

The Pop up blocking of Adblock plus has always been inferior to uBlock Origin and Adblock plus simply can NOT block many of things uBlock Origin can.

The bottom line is Adblock plus is not as technically advanced as uBlock Origin and this is why you are seeing those Pop ups.

The choice is yours, you can continue using an inferior adblocker and suffer more Ads and Pop ups or alternatively take the time to learn the advanced functions of uBlock Origin and reap the benefits.

The uBlock Origin repository at github has a full user guide to help you get the maximum benefit out of uBlock Origin: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Thank you for the recommendation! I got rid of AdBlock plus and got the uBlock Origin extension, then went to check a couple sites I tend to have more issues with. Worked great.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s a hit or miss. I don’t need any additional extensions. Brave Shields does a great job by itself. The only thing is sometimes you have to turn on additional features, like Easylist and all. You can see all the additional things at brave://adblock/

Hi Saioray,

I would very much like to just rely on the Brave Shields alone without any need for other extensions, but unfortunately that is not possible.

Brave Shields STILL DO NOT offer the fine grained control over individual things that you may need to unblock on certain websites.

Yes, you can disable the Shields for that website. But then you have NO protection against Ads & Trackers on that website.

Brave users have requested more fine grained control over the Brave Shields for several years now and still NOTHING has been stated by Brave in regards to these requests for their long term development, we are not expecting changes to happen overnight.

The Brave Shields V2 have interface changes which now require you to make extra mouse clicks to see the “Advanced” options.

Some Brave users may be unaware that you can alter the Brave flags to restore the old Brave Shields V1 interface and disable Braves Shields V2.

Nonsensical changes like this really makes me wonder if the Brave Developers are listening to what we want.

It is frustrating and quite annoying when Brave users have been waiting on improvements to the Brave Shields for several years and then they suddenly foist upon us a change to the Brave Shields which make the Brave Shields interface inconvenient to use.

Brave Shields are directly integrated into the browser itself and they the potential to be even more powerful than any Brave Extension could ever be.

I simply do not understand why the developers wasted valuable time and effort introducing interface changes in the Shields V2 which make them less convenient to use.

In my opinion this was an idiotic and very poor retrograde step.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.