PLEASE give us a 'disable automatic updates' option!

I like Brave Browser, BUT…

PLEASE give us a ‘disable automatic updates’ option!

Steps to Reproduce: (n/a)

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): My Brave browser gets updated without my permission!

Expected result: I expect to have control over when, how and IF the browser gets updated!

Reproduces how often: every time there’s a new release.

Operating System and Brave Version (See the About Brave page in the main menu): Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363; Brave Browser Version 1.19.90 Chromium: 88.0.4324.146 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

1 Like

This request has come up before. For example, some users have bandwidth limits or data caps or both. Early on, I recall a few comments from Brave devs universally rejecting the request. I can guess at the underlying reasoning: it’s easier to support a product when everyone is on the same page; and Brave is free, so I can respect Brave devs’ viewpoint even though I disagree.

Which leads back to your request.

Under Windows, two utilities come into play. Windows installs services.msc as part of its initial installation. Download the other utility from Microsoft https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns and install it.

Using either of these utilities improperly can trash your Windows installation. With this risk in mind, I’m not going to offer details. If you’re unsure how to proceed, DON’T! Seriously, stop here!

Autoruns are processes that load and run each time you boot your computer. There are various Brave-related processes which, if de-selected, will stop Brave from automatically updating once you’ve re-booted your computer.

To update Brave, WITH BRAVE CLOSED, run services.msc and change the status of the two Brave-related services from “Disabled” to “Manual”. When you next start Brave, selecting “About Brave” will activate the update process.

You can then re-edit the relevant Autoruns. When you next re-boot, Brave will once again only update manually.

1 Like

We are un-installing literally hundreds of copies of Brave across all of our systems and are banning our employees from using it (it’s a firable offense) all because there’s no way to control autoupdates. I am sorry but if you won’t allow users to decide what goes on their computer, when resources are used (or abused in this case), and what happens and when, then we don’t want to have anything to do with it. It’s authoritarian, anti-user, and the privacy provided is worthless without the ability for the user to control it. The last straw was your “too bad if you don’t like it, we won’t change just because everyone wants us to” approach. That’s like telling your users to bugger off. Okay, I am buggering off now and you’re losing a whole f-load of users as a result. Not to mention all of the anti-brave sentiments you’re creating by being so inflexible and unresponsive to our needs (really important ones at that). So, f-you too. You’re just another failed browser because you wouldn’t adapt to what people needed and wanted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.