Password generator

Hi, is it possible to add a strong password generator as it has been recently added on Chrome?

It’s very useful as it creates and saves strong passwords automatically.

5 Likes

I was curious about this as well. I went ahead and opened an issue on GitHub so it could be tracked.

1 Like

You could use LastPass I do.

2 Likes

It will be interesting have a good password generator and the feature to keep our passwords safe .

2 Likes

There are excellent 3rd-party extensions that generate strong passwords and store them. @CreeperGuy72192 mentions LastPass which I used for a few years. I currently use Bitwarden. (BTW, the switch from LastPass to Bitwarden was seamless.) A quick web search will reveal other similar products. Choose the one with the features that suit your needs. One overarching benefit: with 3rd-party password storage, you’re not tethered to a specific browser.

4 Likes

I use a 3rd party password manager dashlane, it has intergration with most chromium based browsers and firefox, a password generator, secure notes storage, and both a mobile and desktop version. It’s also garbage. It only recognizes login fields about 1/3 of the time and it autosaves new login info about the same frequency. Even the interface is cludgy as heck and intrusive and tacky looking. on mobile the login select box likes to pop up for about 3/4 of a millisecond before disappearing making me play whack-a-mole to login to a website. Did I mention it costs around $30/year if you have more than 50 passwords? Meanwhile the native password manager works on nearly every login I’ve come across, and stores my password info securely and locally. If it only had the option to generate strong passwords I would switch perminantly in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I am surprised that this has not been implemented yet.
What is Brave Dev team thinking? That i am going to change webbrowser, and all of a sudden i need to download a lot of 3rd party programs to get the same service as Google Chrome offers?

How is this not implemented yet? Question has been asked atleast 2 years ago…?

2 Likes

I need this functionality to replace chrome. I can’t keep up with all the password requirements for various websites, and googles “right click” then “suggest password” forces me to use chrome for different websites.

1 Like

Updating / reiterating an earlier comment in this thread: consider using a 3rd-party password generator / manager. Mentioned in my earlier comment, I started using Bitwarden in Nov 2017. I continue to use and it continues to do the job for me. Do your own web search. You’ll find competing products. One may serve you better. One overarching benefit: with a 3rd-party password manager, you’re not tethered to a specific browser.

1 Like

Thank you, I read your previous comment. I need this functionaltiy built into my browser, not as a third party solution. As @johnoe85 posted, I am also surprised that this has not been implemented yet.

Looking at github, there appears to be some traffic on this. https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/4901

1 Like

edit: If you turn on password sync then “Suggest New Password” works; however, it still doesn’t play nice with the Android autofill system, which still makes it distinctly less useful than Chrome’s password manager.

Glad to see password generation is at least working though!

1 Like

Hey! Where do you go to turn on password sync? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi I have a question!

Where do you go to turn on password sync? Thanks!

1 Like

Personally I prefer 3rd party solutions, because they:

• Provide superior password management features (it’s their core business after all)
  • Not tethered to a single browser (I can use BitWarden/Last Pass on Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, Brave)
  • Can do Web Login, without needing to install Brave
  • Tightly integrated into Android, iOS’s native password auto-fill system

Small Rant: With how unreliably BAT seems to be managed, do you really want Brave to manage your passwords too?

3 Likes

Upvoted; I agree with: “Not tethered to a single browser”. That’s sufficient reason for me.

Browser settings > enable sync > password sync

I like Bitwarden a lot for the reasons you list; however, it’s still a substantially poorer experience than Google Passwords, which makes Brave impossible to recommend

1 Like

Was going to suggest this some time ago. This is a huge feature missing, especially for former Firefox users.

I don’t need password management off of my local environment but being able to quickly suggest a strong password goes a long way in easing daily workflow. Plus it helps novices and up promote the use of proper passwords for a safer net all around.

Side note for Mac users - this can be done quickly in Keychain but jumping back and forth from apps to copy and paste is disruptive.

bitwarden FTW. Dumped lastpass last year

1 Like