Pages won't load

@bkwriter,
Would you be willing to download/install the Brave Beta build? I’d like to see if Beta (or any other build) behaves the same way. If so, it likely points to a system problem as @ZerosNOnes is hinting at.

Note that downloading/installing the Beta will not interfere or overwrite any data in your current Brave installation.

1 Like

Sure. Any other risks or problems with the Beta build?

None at all – I currently have Brave Nightly, Dev, Beta and Stable all running at the same time on my machine.

1 Like

Just click on the link?

Yessir – should take you to https://brave.com/download-beta and you can download and install as you normally would from there.

1 Like

OK, downloaded. Looks like I’ve got Brave and Brave Beta. Thought it might overwrite the old program. The idea is to see if the beta acts normally when I start the PC, right?

That is correct – just start browsing as you normally would and see if you can reproduce the crash. If Beta behaves without the same issue, it’s likely isolated to Stable build and we can continue further narrowing it down from there.

If Beta build starts crashing in the same way Stable does, the issue is more likely on the system side of things (or compatibility).

Let me know what you find out.

1 Like

Beta acts just like regular Brave–pages won’t load at startup unless I restart the PC. Then both versions loaded normally.

1 Like

Alright – getting closer. Thank you for testing. Reaching out to some team members with this new info, will return soon.

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate it.

Actually I derped. You said it worked on your new profile, right? So this means your main profile is corrupted or conflicting with Brave.

You can simply copy/paste your old profile files from main - new.

Don’t copy the entire user folder of the main profile though as this will contain the files that are corrupted too…Go to your main user profile

C:\Users\OldProfile

Click View and uncheck Hidden items

Now copy and paste what’s in this user folder to your new one.

C:\Users\NewProfile

(Obviously it won’t be exactly the same as your old profile, you have to setup shortcuts, change your background, etc.)

Turned on my PC this morning, Brave/Brave Beta wouldn’t load. Then I tried it in the new Windows profile; both loaded normally. I restarted my PC and both Brave versions loaded in my old profile.

ZerosNOnes offered some suggestions about copying/pasting my old profile into the new profile. I’m going to hold off until I hear from you. Many thanks.

Thanks. Mattches at Browser Support is checking with his team, so I’m going to wait until I hear from him. But the new profile loads Brave just fine.

@bkwriter – sounds like you in good hands here w/@ZerosNOnes!
It does seem like the issue is linked to your system profile so I think porting your data from one profile to the other seem a logical next step.

1 Like

Type “C:\Users\OldProfile” where? I tried all kinds of places. And I tried C:\Users<my profile name> and it didn’t work.

I also searched and found directions for deleting the old user profile via Windows r and then “SystemPropertiesAdvanced” which brought a box of user profiles. I did this in my new profile so I could delete the old one. But the delete button is always greyed out. I even turned my PC off, signed it with the new profile (just in case somehow I wasn’t signed out from the old one) and it was still greyed out.

Then today I turned on my PC, signed in with the old (supposedly corrupt) profile and Brave loaded the first time. Go figure. I’m at the point where I either go through the hassle of setting up the new profile or just giving up and going back to Chrome. I’m leaning toward the latter.

Thanks for your help.

Forgive me.

1.) Press the Windows key + R to open the run dialog.
2.) Type in C:\Users into the box and press enter to open the user profile folder containing all of your profiles.
3.) Open your main profile folder.
4.) Click the view tab and uncheck Hidden items

5.) Highlight all of the files and folders and press CTRL+C keys to copy.
6.) Press the Backspace button to go back to the C:\Users folder.
7.) Right click on your New Profile folder (w/e name you gave it) and click paste from the right click menu.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.