Common Crash After Opening, Lost All Open Tabs, Extensions Not Loading

Description of the issue:
Having a very frequent issue where Brave will crash after immediately opening it. This crash seems to come right afte starting up the OS for the first time after a shutdown/restart while everything is loading in the background.

This crash happened again today (20240413) after booting into Windows after a shutdown. Typically, when I open Brave after the crash occurs, Brave will ask me if I want to reopen all the closed tabs. That didn’t happen this time. All my tabs were closed.

Another odd behavior was that after this crash, my extensions would not load when clicking on them. The extensions were still installed and pinned up in the header of the browser, but when clicking on them, they could not load their necessary resources to function. I rebooted my computer and the extensions were able to load again. However, after the reboot, Brave incurred it’s normal crash that occurs after a shutdown/reboot (as described above).

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave
  2. Start browsning (opening tabs, searching websites, etc.)

Expected result:
Brave should not crash, tabs should not be closed, and extensions should load.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.64.122 Chromium: 123.0.6312.122 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
OS Name: Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.19045 Build 19045
System: MSI GS63VR 7RF
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 32GB DDR4 1200MHz

I have video of the crash and of the extensions not loading, if that would be valuable.

2 Likes