Open file attachment vs save

I have seen this question posted multiple times with no real answer. Whenever I click on a file attachment in the Brave browser, I am only allowed to download and save the attachment. For example, a link to an audio file or a pdf in other browsers such as Edge and Chrome, it will give the option to ‘Save’ or ‘Open’. Brave does not give options and only saves (downloads) the file. I then have to open file after downloading and delete from my downloads folder when I’m finished viewing or listening to the file.

@i7_phillip

Brave Browser does not [yet] have a user-accessible file handler table, such as the Firefox handler table:

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 10.57.16 PM

Brave Browser for desktop computers, does have some ability to determine the course of action for some situations, if you send a New Window to: brave://settings/content

And scroll down that settings page, and toggle the arrows for expanding:

• Additional permissions
  • Additional content settings

Having said that, @CerealLover might know of some tips.

Issue re PDF file handling:

Hi everyone

To set default file types or link types for Brave, follow the steps:

1. Open windows settings
  2. Click on Apps
  3. Click on Default apps
  4. Click on Brave: To add and extension to Brave, click arrow on the right of the extension, then choose Brave.

You can also experiment adding extensions to Brave as follows (this affects opening those extensions in explorer):

1. Open windows settings
  2. Click on Apps
  3. See image

Note: If you are using Internet download manager you have to delete those extensions in ‘Options’, ‘File Types’.

This is the one thing keeping me from making Brave my default. With Edge, when I click on a download link, I get an popup asking if I want to open or save the file. Often I just want to open it and not worry about having to delete it later.