Not received pending BAT - March 8th

@asad No, I never said I had any troubles. I’m not actively trying to earn bat anyway, I just support the efforts and what brave is trying to accomplish. I have bought several hundred BAT on Coinbase though. I’m optimistic that it will take off. I’m just holding it until it becomes worth hundreds of dollars per token :slight_smile: That was in March and I kind of wish I had gotten more Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin instead because of how well they’ve been doing, although I did pretty well with my purchases of those over the years, so it’s all good :smiley: .

2 Likes

Ah, you said something along the lines of “after months of not getting paid…” and I thought you meant your own account. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@asad Oh, that was in the other thread, I was talking about the guy who started this thread a few months ago, the one who was being really obnoxious and telling you to update your resume and all that.

1 Like

@asad Oh, I did say that in my post above, my mistake. No, I was talking about the people who are using Brave to try and get the BAT rewards because they’re in a difficult financial situation, mainly because they live in a country with high poverty, limited upward mobility, etc. And I’m not saying that they are all trying to earn BAT fraudulently, though some most definitely are. For them, I’m sure it’s very frustrating when a few months go by and they haven’t gotten their payouts, although it seems like it’s usually because they didn’t activate their accounts or get verified before a certain date and are failing to understand the problem there. Obviously, they are the ones complaining; everyone else has no issue because they understand how the payment schedule works.

2 Likes

Oh yeah – I for sure made another pass on the old CV after that one :joy:

1 Like

Wow! I agree that @Asad and @chriscat have very difficult jobs. @eljuno also deserves some kudos for the way he conducts himself on here. I’d just like to point out, though, that legit users may also have trouble communicating in English, and not just scammers. If someone’s anxiety and English speaking ability is the measure by which people are being judged, then it highlights the need for better processes.

Did you bother reading the rest of the paragraph directly following the portion you quoted? Or did you cherry pick a comment and take it out of context on purpose?

i read everything. I feel like the following sentences don’t really excuse this one. but I agree with your overall assessment.

1 Like

Fair enough, @continental. I’m being rather prejudicial. I’m not sure my assessment is wrong in a general sense, but it probably isn’t OK to say such things.

1 Like

It shows wisdom that you’re being reflective. You touched upon an important point about the financial implications that the Brave team needs to consider–the potential financial rewards are greater in different regions, particularly in non-Western nations, and so there is greater incentive to game the system. It may also become a greater issue in the West with greater adoption or significant increases in the value of BAT. But I’ve pleaded with the Devs here, and on other threads to not judge all individuals based on their level of panic or English ability, but some of these folks definitely give the impression that they’re scamming, and you’re absolutely right–continuing to pester them, or being obstinate is an obvious red flag. As you correctly pointed out, though, any amount of money may be substantial to them in that moment in time, and that may garner anxiety. There are other considerations at play–while some people may have been suspended for trying to game the system for large sums of money, I’m willing to bet some unfortunates got flagged for self-tipping small amounts of UGP tokens, probably specifically from the free Android grants. Lots of posts from a few months ago were making that claim. I obviously can’t know if any of that is true, but if makes me wonder if they plan on implementing different kinds of sanctions against people–temporary suspensions vs permanent bans, etc. There appears to be a social justice system void that ultimately needs to be addressed/modified/what-have-you. I find the situation absolutely fascinating.

Lets be real here though… If I downloaded the Brave browser under the assumption I can earn BAT while watching BRAVE SPECIFIC ads while surfing the web, why is it a problem that I want to cash out those BAT payments?? Currently the only way to cash out BAT earned from brave rewards account is by self tipping. How is this cheating again? I EARNED the BAT from my web browsing and clicked on ads that Brave is paid for every time someone watches those ads. How in the world is it cheating when the ONLY way to cash out what was promised to us is through self tipping? Brave got their payment, their payment is already in their bank account. But I’m a scammer because I want the payment that was promised to me as well? lol gtfoh

You do realize Coinbase specifically says when you make a purchase that you agree you are purchasing them for their utility and not to speculate on them?

1 Like

Because the point of Basic Attention Tokens, at this stage is to encourage people to use the browser and get its internal economic system up and running. If everyone just took their grants and rewards and cashed them out, there would be no proprietary currency, which is, you know, the whole point.

Now I understand that Brave makes a big deal about its users getting paid for watching advertisements, but the idea is that the payments will be more useful to its users within the Brave economy rather than converting it to another currency. A better way of keeping BAT within the system will be to make purchases for online services, subscriptions, and the like, more affordable if paid for with BAT, and I expect something like that is coming, whether by Brave’s purpose or because of the coming global collapse of fiat currencies. But it will take time either way. Until then, this project needs BAT to remain in the system to a nominal degree at least. Otherwise it will fail. Is that what you want to see happen?

And that’s why I’m so adamant about all of this, and, perhaps overzealously, calling out what I see are potentially abuses. The scammers are going to break the system for their own, however understandable, selfish interests.

So what you’re saying is that even though I was promised to be paid for watching ADS (Brave is paid by the companies so ppl like me see these ads) I shouldn’t be aloud to take my payment (BAT) and do whatever I please with it? They let us link a wallet and it gives us the option to choose to withdrawal USD, BTC, or other forms of payment, but you’re trying to tell me that I’m a scammer because I want to withdrawal the BAT that I earned to my own wallet so I can do whatever I please with it? @_reshpeck

I don’t disagree with you. My current understanding is that they didn’t want User Growth Pool Grants used in such a way, because they want to incentivize tipping to established Websites to lure them into verifying as publishers, and not for people to simply tip themselves. This is with the free money, mind you, that they provided to help jump-start the ecosystem. This is not money that was earned, although it may have felt like a bonus for signing up. They have come forth and stated that you Can tip yourself with money you’ve Earned from watching Ads, but not from Free Grants, otherwise referred to as User Growth Pool tokens. Many of the people flagged as scammers seem to have managed to earn money from fraudulent referrals, and may also have subsequently tipped themselves with UGP tokens, possibly from fraudulent installs on android devices.

However, I have been very critical of this suspension process, especially since we do not know the gritty details of how it all works. Machine Learning? There is an anti-fraud system in place in some manner. I am very concerned, though, that some of the earliest champions/promoters may have gotten flagged as scammers. I could be wrong, not having all the details, but it seems like one of the biggest initial challenges they are facing is separating scammers from ordinary users, and also making their own policies clear to the community regarding this. It’s one of the areas I feel they can do much better–communicating policy concisely. But we should understand also that the priority right now for them is making sure the browser works the way it should. The BAT ecosystem won’t matter if the browser isn’t optimum.

I don’t think the UGP grants worked out the way they wanted them to. In fact, there was a strange backlash from some established entertainers that got upset that money was being collected in their name without their knowledge, and so the way those funds are now aggregated for non-verified publishers has changed.

This is all still Beta phase. We’re lucky to be involved on the ground floor, and to be able to earn from promoting it. It’s kind of a no-brainer to adopt in theory, so it’s not a hard sell.

1 Like

No @wowcrypto, that’s not what I’m saying. Yes, you are free to withdraw the BAT you have earned – I should say, volunteered to receive in exchange for clicking the X on some little pop-ups, the frequency of which you can control.

Your claim that the only way to get the BAT is by tipping yourself is absolutely false, and it is my understanding that it is prohibited in the terms you agreed to. So if you were to do that, you should have your payment withheld because it is sabotaging the whole Brave enterprise that users such as myself are hoping will succeed.

No, you receive your grants, and you tip them to other publishers to encourage Brave’s development into permanent viability. You cash out your ad rewards if you want. Or you keep them in the system if you really want to support the project. (Personally I cash out what I can and trade them according to crypto market conditions, and then buy BAT when it is low. I’ve purchased nearly 400 tokens this way, but that’s probably not a good strategy for most people.)

But you don’t take BAT grants and tip yourself! I’ll be perfectly honest: that’s what I did initially because I didn’t understand the way things worked. I’ve since reinfused them back into the Brave economy, and then some, because the couple of dollars they were worth is nothing compared to the potential of this project if it succeeds.

So go ahead and cash your earned BAT. But if you are only here for that, then you should really learn what the future holds for fiat currency, global web security and privacy, and corporate domination of our very lives. And don’t tip yourself, because that’s not the agreement you and Brave made with each other when you decided to download the browser.

I hope that clarified things.

FYI to @_reshpeck and @continental - a two way wallet is on the way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Asad - any ETA for that? no details found in roadmap

Salam aleikom Asad.
Please can you check my account its same thing 2 months receive email from Brave about uphold not verified but it is.
please check my topic Brave say uphold not verified but i did verified and it is

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.