No Sound MacOS (I think since Brave update)

The problem

1. I am no longer to hear any sound on websites on Brave Browser. I am using versionVersion 1.65.114 Chromium: 124.0.6367.60 (Official Build) (arm64)

2. I have no issues with sound on any other application, and sound also works fine on Safari.

3. The problem seems to have started after the latest update.

4. I have checked Brave Settings and the sound settings are correct.

5. I am using MacOS v. 12.4

Version 1.65.114 Chromium: 124.0.6367.60 (Official Build) (arm64)

Would greatly appreciate help here as I definitely do not want to return to using Safari or Chrome.

Many thanks in advance.

@nosound,
Can you please try opening guest profile (Menu --> More tools --> Open guest profile), close the original profile window (so that you only have the one guest window open) and test to see whether or not sound plays from there?

Thanks very much for the fast reply.

I’ve tried opening a new guest profile window. No sound still unfortunately.

Thank you for checking. Can you also please check:

• Ensure that your Windows system isn’t muting Brave (specifically) by opening the system volume mixer
  • Ensure that the Sites can play sound option is not disabled in brave://settings/content
  • Try downloading Brave Beta (will not overwrite your current install) and check and see if sound works in the Beta build as it should

Thanks again for the fast reply.

I’m on MacOS (v 12.4 Monterey) so Windows advice not applicable here.

Have already checked Brave Settings and the “sites can play sound” option is switched on.

Downloaded Brave Beta and still no sound.

I should also mention that I also run a MacBook (running MacOS Catalina) and I don’t have any problems with sound on Brave Browser here. I wonder if with the latest update, there is some kind of issue with Monterey?

The plot thickens a little further… I’m running a studio setup and so audio runs through a Universal Audio Thunderbolt interface. If I switch sound output to my computer’s speakers, I am able to hear sound from YouTube etc. again (although strangely I couldn’t a couple of hours ago). This obviously isn’t a long-term fix, especially as I sometimes need to record audio from a website.

My audio setup hasn’t changed in any way and previously I had no issues hearing sound from Brave through my audio interface (and I can still hear sound from all other apps, including Safari, through the interface too).

On a mac studio with Ventura and Also running a universal audio interface. I am all of sudden not getting any audio from the brave browser either. I can’t switch to any audio output in the settings and get audio though. Works on my macbook pro fine. This just randomly happened one day on me. I also tried all the above tests.

I have the same problem on a Mac Mini M2Pro. It has something to do with the UAD Apollo. When I re-boot without the UAD, I get sound out the Mac speaker. It works fine on my MacBook M3 Pro. Also I noticed that Google Chrome also stopped having sound at the same time so it could be in the latest Chromium build. I got it to work with new Chrome Canary beta.

So I just downloaded google chrome and I get audio from the browser with no issue.

Since Brave uses Chromium it could be a bad version.

Interesting that this seems to be an issue with Brave and the UA Apollos…

On booting up this morning, my sound output had defaulted to the Mac Studio speakers. This is strange in itself as I NEVER have sound outputting from here, and my final job before shutting down last night was mixing a track. Obviously, I’d do that through my Apollo and not the Mac Studio speakers.

Anyway, as expected going on yesterday’s behaviour, audio on Brave works fine through the Mac Studio speakers, but as soon as I switch to the Apollo, nothing. Safari - horrid browser though it is - works fine.

So would definitely seem there is an issue with the Brave update.

Thank you everyone for reporting. Can everyone share their exact macOS version with me here to share with our developers?

Thank you

I’m using Sonoma 14.5 Beta (23F5064f). I’m an Apple Developer. Brave worked perfectly until the last update.

I have opened the following issue for our developers to review. Will continue to edit the issue and add additional OS/other details surrounding the issue as they come in.

I also have problems with sound (see separate post from me) I am on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.4

I just got notice from Chrome they are posting a fix. They have the same problem as Brave.

1 Like

Yes, chrome reacts the same way.

Is the fix an update? Do you know?

The problem is happening after installing the Brave update (no audio YouTube, Rumble):
Version 1.65.114 Chromium: 124.0.6367.60 (Official Build) (arm64)

Audio on Google Chrome is working fine.

macOS Sonoma 14.4.1
Mac Studio
Apple M2 Max
Audio Interface: Arturia AudioFuse 16Rig

MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
Mac Studio M2 Ultra
Audio Interface UAD Apollo x8p

I have a similar issue, but the sound does work, but if I ever run two streams, and end one, it cuts off the sound on the other site that’s playing. It will come back on, after about 30 seconds or so, but it’s very frustrating to keep having the sound stopping. And I just updated yesterday to 1.65.123, so that didn’t fix it. I’m using Mac 13.6.6