No more saving shield preferences per site?

Selected “Script blocking => on” in Shield default settings. Opening a site, I can select which scripts to unblock and click “Allow once” (?), so with the next opening of the same page I have to unblock the scripts again. The values aren’t saved anymore. I DO want to block scripts by default and only unblock the necessary ones, but I don’t want to do it again each time I visit a site.

1. In shield default settings set “Script blocking” to on
  2. Open site with scripts
  3. Unblock one or more scripts on site
  4. Reload site
  5. Settings of which scripts to unblock didn’t persist.

Expected result:
As in previous version of Brave, I would expect the values to be saved on a per site basis like for example with uMatrix or Ghostery. If I have to use one of these in addition there is no reason for me to use Brave in terms of simplifying ad-blocking and the like.

Reproduces how often:
Every time.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.56.12

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yes

Additional Information:
See description.

1 Like

This is expected behaviour for now. When you unblock a specific script it only allows you to save the changes for once as seen here

The other options of Allow until restart and Always allow is not yet built in. This will be available in future iterations

2 Likes

Ok got it. Thanks for the quick answer.
But I have to say that this is at the moment the biggest gripe with Brave and the missing of these two options you mentioned keeps me from using Brave on a daily basis and as the standard browser atm. I hope, you will include these in the very near future because otherwise Brave is great.
Oh and one more thing: The statistics on the new tab page are nice but are temporarily set to display zero when clicking “Start Page”-Button. No biggie, just a visual, but wanted to let you know.

I don’t know if I have to post this in feature request rather than here, but a possibility to manually select DNS would be great (see for example Yandex browser). This would make Brave a true privacy browser.

Have a nice day and keep up the good work.

If you select All Scripts allowed then it persists across session but there is no individual control which will be available once the settings are implemented.

This is fixed and should be available soon on dev/beta

Option is available under Advance. Is this what you are looking for ?

First off, thanks for the elaboration, I am new to Brave and don’t know all the ressources yet for infos.

No, not proxy settings, DNS settings. So, in short the ability to select one of several predefined or manually entered DNS-Servers for DNSCrypt and/or DoT/DoH purposes. As I said, just have a look into the settings of Yandex browser, that’s exactly what I meant.

We have an issue for Tor beyond private tabs does this serve the purpose? Even though this is not exactly like the Smart DNS/DNSCrypt services.

There’s also Tor windows available on your current browser profile that you can use.

Thanks for your effort again, but sadly no. I don’t use Tor, instead I am using VPN, so it is not an urgent issue for me at least atm. I just thought, as your browser seems to aim at an audience that cares about privacy while browsing the web, it would be a quite easy to implement feature that enhances privacy for users not on VPN connections and helps spreading the word about Brave, because the only other browser I know off using this is said Yandex with their browser and they are used primarily in Russia.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.