Opening New Tab hangs for a LONG time
Just open a new tab

System info:
macOS Catalina v. 10.15.4
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB
Brave Version: [Version 1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information: Whenever I go to open a new tab, it opens the tab but than hangs for a good 10-15 seconds before I can use the tab, either typing in address, pasting in address or clicking a bookmark in toolbar.

I’ve tried removing ALL tools including “Show Background Image” but it still hangs.

When I open a new Brave window, it loads my home page INSTANTLY, but if I try to open a new tab it does the hang thing!

Almost unusable. Any way to set a home page for new tabs?

thanks!

1 Like

I’m having exact same problem. I also am running newest build with Windows 10 64bit. New tab takes about 8 secs to load. That’s not going to work. They need to fix it because I have begun updating my Firefox just in case. I will not accept this kind of lag so they can push their Binance widget.

1 Like

Same and I agree on the widget they added being the cause.

I have been seeing the same thing happen.

This has been happening for around 5 days.

I have running Windows 10 64-bit v 1903 on Intel I-5 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD.

When I open Brave or open new tab while Brave is running, it opens quickly, as usual, and the home tab shows quickly, the top sites icons are blank. Brave will not respond for up to 10 secs.

Brave version - [Version 1.8.90 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

I have tried:

1. Clearing settings at the bottom of Advanced Settings.
  2. Uninstalled / reinstalled with a clear all data option.
  3. Installed Brave Beta version 1.9.5.1.
  4. Disabled / uninstalled Extensions.

When I installed the beta it was better for a few times, but has the same problems.

When I open Brave CPU jumps from 5% to ~70%, floats between 40 and 55% for that time, until Brave responds, then drops down near where it was before I opened Brave.

Thanks!

The same/similar situation at me.
[Version 1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
I am on Wondows X Home ver. 1909 build 18363.778
Intel i7, 12GBRAM

the “andy-mai.webp” takes 32 seconds !!!

I am also experiencing the same difficulty. Except, it takes up to 20-seconds for the New Tab to render. I started experiencing this problem two upgrades ago. I was hoping with the last upgrade that it would be resolved. However, that has not happened.

System info:
macOS High Sierra v. 10.13.6
iMac mid-2011 21.5-inch
2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
12GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

[Version 1.8.95 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
[Note: this is the latest build at the time of this posting]

Just like “dmuma” I also attempted removing ALL tools including the, “Show Background Image.” However, that did not cease the delay when opening a New Tab.

Is this due to the BINANCE WIDGET?
If it is, then someone did not fully test that new widgets functionally out.
How does one disable and/or make the BINANCE widget non-functional?

Similiar problem here: Brave freezes for a few seconds after startup.
Ubuntu 18.04, [Version 1.8.95 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

After this initial startup freeze, everything works fine. New tabs react opens instantly.

I am a new Brave user, and this issue is swiftly becoming a dealbreaker for me. I have removed everything removable from the New Tab page, but it STILL hangs when opening, even though there is nothing on it but the settings icons at the bottom right.

I had to set to Brave open to my search engine page, though I’d rather open to whatever I was doing before, but that means if I was doing nothing, I am once again at the time-sucking new tab page.

Frankly, I hate the new tab page, see no reason for it, and wish there was an option to simply turn it off and open instead to whatever I set as my home page. If I don’t see that change soon, I’m out of here. This is coming up many times an hour, and I switched browsers to reduce frustration, not to encounter it in new and different forms.

Until this gets fixed I suggest using this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blank-new-tab-dark-mode/kbgpnmhanjagjnkiekpnkcefiafpapfa

There are others just like it but this one was mentioned elsewhere and it works great. Instant tabs. Fixes the problem until hopefully Brave decides to do it themselves.

Having the same problem with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Macbook Pro Early 2011

Great TIP!!! thank you so much.
I use Dark New Tab insteda, and it saved my nerves :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian!! Now I can use Brave again. C’mon Brave fix this permanently!

Dave m

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.