Netflix no longer compatible with Brave browser in 2024?

I’ve used Netflix with Brave/duckduckgo for years on same laptop - Apple. Suddenly today, I can log in, but then Netflix immediately closes out and signs me out when I try to play anything.
Spoke with their customer service and they say Brave is not compatible with Netflix. Hilarious given it’s been years with zero issues.
Netflix will, however, play on Google Chrome.
I’ve logged out of all other devices. Changed my pw.
Still no luck with Brave.
Any updates?

No issues here, what error message are you seeing? If it plays in Chrome, should play in Brave. Ensure widevine is enabled (try disabling and renabling)

No error message.
When I hit play, Netflix immediately closes out and logs me out. So literally - netflix.com but without my being signed in.
Where would one access widevine? I see it’s some sort of content protection. In Brave settings??

Try clearing the cache in brave://settings/clearBrowserData and disable/renable widvine in brave://settings/extensions

Try testing in private window mode also

Thank you. Neither of those have worked…

And I am still getting the emails from Netflix saying they don’t recognize the device after so many years of same device…

@theycallmejones this would be because of Brave’s fingerprint and tracking protection when you have Shields on. It randomizes things between sessions and can make it appear like different devices. All comes down to your settings on different sites and everything.

Also, if you login on different profiles or like in private mode, it might say it doesn’t recognize you. This is the same reason, it’s not holding your cookies and might have some differences compared to what they are normally looking at.

Just a FYI, the reason why places will say this is that they have a list of “compatible browsers.” What this means is that their developers or a 3rd party tested the website on each of the browsers and they worked. There are tons of browsers out there and they can’t/won’t test on all. Usually they just stick to the big competitors, which are Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari overall.

Since they likely didn’t test on Brave, they would say it’s not a compatible browser.

I want you to try a few things. Some is repeating, but only because of prior steps. Just do me a favor and work through things in order. Try each step, then if it doesn’t resolve after that step, go to the next. If any step allows things to work right, then you can stop there. Just let me know the results of each attempt.

1. Is Brave updated? (you didn’t share which OS or version of Brave you’re using). If not, update it. And regardless, might be helpful if you do at least let us know which versions of each you’re using.

2. Go to brave://components and make sure to try to update everything there

3. Toggle Widevine. You can go to SettingsExtensions or just type in brave://settings/extensions to get to it. If it was already enabled, disable it and exit Brave completely. Then open Brave and enable Widevine again and go back to Netflix.

4. Disable Shields

5. Try in private window.

6. Open in a new profile (Hamburger menu → More ToolsAdd new profile). This will create a second profile in your browser that pretty much is using default settings and no extensions. Test on this without changing anything.

7. Download Brave Beta or Brave Nightly and see if you have any luck there.

It should resolve in one of those steps. Which step(s) you see improvement can help narrow down to what the issue might be.

Could be due to their dumb no password sharing thingy if you are using it on some other WiFi network than the one which your TV might be using or on the go.

I use the Netflix app on all my devices. I have my Netflix logged into my TV which is connected to the WiFi at one of my houses and whenever I try to watch Netflix on any device at my other home using the WiFi there, it just does the same thing as you are facing. Following up with support, I got told its due to the new No-password sharing policy being implemented in small scale which should gradually roll out to everyone. Also, the support is not the best, at the early part of my tickets, they would just ask me to check by rebooting the device, re - installing Netflix app or some dumb crap, then after a lot of back & forth, they game me the above answer of No Pass Sharing

Its like if you have your TV connected to WiFI A, and if you connect to WiFi B, then it will do this and / or it will ask to temporarily log in to that for 30 days, wtf moment.

Interesting… based on what’s been said upthread, maybe somewhere in that mix (no password sharing + Shields, etc.) is why I was unsuccessful in logging into family accounts to watch The Netflix Slam: Nadal vs Alcaraz. Ended up watching it elsewhere, allegedly.

I see. Interesting indeed!

only watch on one device other than occasionally on mobile, and i don’t share password. thank you.

After 1 through 3 it worked! Thank you so much. Appreciate your time and attention.

2 Likes