Multiple issues - old version loading - Sync broken

When I open the Brave browser manually (Windows 10 - Version 0.68.141 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 [Official Build] [64-bit]) the latest version opens and works just fine. However, when I double click a .html file on my desktop the old version of Brave is launched with the screen telling me I have reached the final day of that version.
I have tried everything I can think of including deleting all shortcuts and file defaults and manually adding the latest brave.exe yet the issue still remains. It makes it impossible for me to open and view .html files locally.

I decided I need to reinstall the browser as I have seen that this has helped other people to fix this bug so I exported by bookmarks and tried to set up a sync key for my desktop but it wouldn’t let me. I can generate a new key but in the bottom right the ‘looking for device’ button just keeps buffering and nothing changes. I’ve tried copying the key phrase then going back to the brave://sync option and selecting ‘I have a sync code’ pasting in the new key but the ‘confirm sync code’ button doesn’t do anything.
So as you can see, this is getting very frustrating. I can’t reinstall the browser because I can’t back it up first.

How can this issue be reproduced?

I have no idea how this can be reproduced as I am not a developer and I haven’t done anything unusual at. To upgrade from the old version I just done what the brave browser said to do. I had no problems with the browser until the moment I need to open a local .html file

Brave version: Version 0.68.141 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Is this not an active community for support?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.