Moving bookmarks from Win 7 to Linux on a different PC

No issue yet as haven’t tried to do it

Can I just copy the HTML file across from one win 7 install to the other and import into my new Linux Mint Cinnamon 20,2 dual booted install?

or can I put on a USB stick and avoid the other Win 7 install altogether and import it straight into Linux?

Expected result: Bookmarks copied across

Brave Version:
Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Latest Linux Mint and Brave install is 64 bit. Both Win 7 are 32 bit (don’t ask…)

Use Brave Sync.

But, if you don’t want to use Sync for some reason, the HTML method will work fine too… But I don’t think the USB Stick method is advisable…

But, Sync works the best as it will also carry on the Bookmarks, Passwords, etc. to the Linux device and will keep on getting updated if you use both the devices in a Dual Boot.

Thanks.
Not really wanting to use Sync.

Thanks. Can you explain why you think this?

I mean, I meant like the HTML is an easier method… So I said that.
There is no problem with the USB but since the other one is better, I said that.

Per @GreenBananaPorridge:

I haven’t tried transferring files between Brave installations, but if it’s likely to corrupt the files, I will think twice before doing it.

Oh wait, were you talking about copying the Installation Files? That won’t work. I thought you were gonna export it from the settings.

Do this, its gonna work:

SS

And for bookmarks, just use the Sync Feature. Copying the files won’t do it… It will get corrupt or overwritten by the Installer.

Importing/exporting through brave://bookmarks/ should work. Hard copy-paste from one directory to another bothers me, and I wouldn’t recommend doing so even if it might work. It’s hard for me to tell what method OP is looking forward to trying by the provided description so far.

1 Like

Thank you both of you for trying to help.
However I am not sure I can make it clearer to either of you but I will try.
I mentioned bookmarks only.
I want to transfer them from one laptop running Win 7 32 bit to another laptop.
The second laptop is dual boot Win 7 32 bit and Linux 64 bit.
I particularly want them in the Linux install.

Without using Sync how best to do that.

The safest and best way other than Brave Sync is doing it manually via brave://bookmarks.

1. Type brave://bookmarks in the address bar.
  2. Click on the 3 dots at the right side of the page.
  3. Choose Export bookmarks.

Follow the same steps to import the bookmarks, except this time choose Import bookmarks from the menu.

2 Likes

Yeah @kanga I tried this method and it works fine. Use this method.

Thanks.
Exported to a USB drive.
Imported directly into Brave Linux from the USB.

In between I had tried to do this to the other Win 7 and not all the bookmarks came across. Deleted it all and did again and no real issues. Then opened up Linux and imported from the USB with no issues.

2 Likes

Glad it worked at the end :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.