Message: Click the lock to give chrome permission to send you desktop notifications?

Is the Brave browser called Chrome?

I see a lot of messages about ‘chrome’.

I totally uninstalled google chrome and firefox before installing Brave. I got Brave because I didn’t want to use companies associated with the WEF. This is important to me.

After Dr. Robert Epstein endorsed Brave, I downloaded it.

Why am I getting a message “if you change your mind, click the lock to give chrome permission to send you the desktop notification.”

I had blocked this page from knowing my location when it happened:

Description of the issue:

Exact URL of the website in question:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.38.117 Chromium: 101.0.4951.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This wiki page on Brave GitHub may help. Explains a lot about the differences between chromium based browsers and Brave.

Short answer FYI quotes:

NOTE: this page is a work in progress! It should by no means be considered a “final” or exhaustive list of things we have removed.

Brave for desktop is built on top of the open-source Chromium project. We add features on top of what is already there and we also remove features or pieces of the code. These deviations we make that touch the core Chromium code are done via patching.

My understanding is that Brave rebrands many of the “chrome” references in chromium. I do not know how this is done, but slower systems (like mine) in some instances see the “chrome” reference before the “brave” branded equivalent displays. Like I said, I don’t know how it works or why but since the foundation for Brave is the “open-source Chromium project” the “chrome” reference is not unexpected.

Don’t know why or what FB is picking up to display that message. Probably something in the chromium code. I wonder if you used a different chromium based browser if you would also see “chrome” when asking you to enable something like notifications or locations in those browsers too.

From Chromium OS FAQ

What’s the difference between Chromium OS and Google Chrome OS?

Google Chrome OS is to Chromium OS what Google Chrome browser is to Chromium.

• Chromium OS is the open source project, used primarily by developers, with code that is available for anyone to checkout, modify, and build.
  • Google Chrome OS is the Google product that OEMs ship on Chromebooks for general consumer use.

Sorry I got a little long-winded! lol Hope this helps. :smiley:

Hi :slightly_smiling_face: Just ran across this post. Thought it might interest you and help with the “why” question. Now I’m wondering “why” for me. :joy:

Thank you. I don’t mind long winded. I also noticed that Brave has some wording in the settings are with links to Mozilla, which is another browser I dumped after I found their connection to the WEF, on the WEFs partner company page. I’m guessing this is a similar thing? that they are somehow connected via opensourse code?

No idea on this one. I think Brave originally used mozilla open source as the foundation but switched to chromium because of issues. I remember reading about that… somewhere… probably on a Brave GitHub page… So, may have something to do with reusing earlier code? I have no idea if that is remnants of code from the original project or what is going on there. Might be interesting if you post that information in the Feedback category. May or may not get a response. Would be interesting to see if the “wording in the settings” get “magically” changed. lol

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.