Brave is Chrome?

I recently began using Brave. After I accessed a creditor’s website, I got an email from them stating that they did not recognize the Chrome browser used to access my account. How is it they are seeing Chrome when I am using Brave. I don’t even have Chrome on my computer.

There is Browser called Chromium which is opensource. Chrome is enhanced version of Chromium and Brave is also built on top of Chromium. So Basically Brave is also a chromium based browser. Hope you are clear now.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks for replying.

There are only three popular web rendering eninges currently
1.) Chromium, from google (used by brave, microsoft edge, opera, vivaldi etc)
2.) Gecko, from mozilla (used by firefox)
3.) Webkit, from apple (used by safari)

Most browsers are based on these 3 rendering engines especially chromium. The underlying code which runs brave is chromium.

A site knows that you are using chromium based browser due to browser delibreately sends that data to site https://wikiless.esmailelbob.xyz//wiki/User_agent?lang=en. Brave user agent is same as chromium’s (same as chrome’s). It is delibately kept same as chrome’s for better privacy protections.

See User agent in HTTP header section on https://browserleaks.com/ip. These wierd letters tell you what is your browser to the site like; Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; SM-S906N Build/QP1A.190711.020; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/80.0.3987.119 Mobile Safari/537.36
It is perfectly normal what is happening right now. It is not a bug, but a feature.

1 Like

So, when my bank told me I had to use chrome to access my account, they probably didn’t really mean Chrome, but a chromium based browser. Thank you for the additional info.

1 Like

Likely Yes.

But they should not tell you that, as you already use a chomium based browser (duplicate of chrome as both of them use the same user agent).

Just make sure brave is upto date from about section in brave settings.

They might be using advanced API, javascrupt to figure that you are not actually on a popular browser like chrome.

At the time, I was using Firefox. I closed my account because I did not want Chrome. (This bank was becoming inconvenient anyway.) A couple weeks later, one of my work programs quit working with Firefox and their support told me I had to download Chrome. “Not gonna do it.” A couple days later I found Brave and I am all good again. I hope.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.