Mac Not Sleeping After Brave Installation

Hello, I noticed an archived support article but could not comment on it. I have noticed recently that my MacBook Pro will not sleep - the only change recently was installing Brave.
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73)

Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this issue and if there’s any way to turn this “Feature” on or off. I actually needed a way to keep the Mac from sleeping months ago, but now I would like it to work as intended. Thank you for anyone taking the time to read!

(This was flagged on Reddit due to some ISSUE. Thanks!)
(I’ve since verified that with Brave closed the Mac does sleep. Fascinating! Please isolate the reason because this would be a fantastic feature to have with an on/off switch!)

Hi @PyroJason,
Can you go to system preferences > energy saver, is you mac set to turn display off after a certain time?

Yes, it’s set to go off after an hour. As I said though, with brave closed the system sleeps when the lid is closed as normal. With brave running it does not sleep with lid closed. This could be a useful feature if there’s a way to enable it or disable it.

When you say sleep, what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to the screen turning off/dimming or are you referring to be asked to enter a password?

There 's lock, sleep, and shutdown. I’m not concerned with the lock (password screen).
Usually when you close the lid it will after a short while actually ‘sleep’ and the power will be suspended. The cpu is no longer generating heat, etc.
With brave running and the screen closed the mac never gets to sleep mode. I’ll have it closed for 24 hours and the aluminum body of the mac will be warm or hot based on how much I have open.
Doing the same test with brave closed and the screen closed for 24 hours the aluminum body is cold and successfully suspended the hardware to actually be ‘suspended’ as sleep should.

Thank you for that explanation.

Can you go back to system preferences > energy saver, do you have power nap enabled?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.