Lost sync data (I still have the sync code)

Description of the issue:
Today I was at my cousin’s house when I added my Brave Browser sync chain to a device that I normally use every time I visit.

I have routinely added and deleted my profile from the device without issue. I used to delete it without removing his device from the sync chain beforehand. In the past, it caused zero issues.

(Below is the profile thing I’m talking about)

But today, this same act resulted in ALL of my Brave data being lost.

Before anyone asks, I have the sync code right here with me, and it works perfectly fine. No expired code, etc.

But all my bookmarks, passwords, and Reading List URL’s are gone, along with my theme. For some odd reason, the only thing that’s been saved are my Saved Tab Groups.

I have no idea how this suddenly broke my sync chain. Why is all of my sync data anchored to a computer that I barely use (maybe that’s an ignorant question, but bear with me here)? I can only hope that my iMac has all my data when I get back home. This is so messed up.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Log into a new device
  2. Sync EVERYTHING
  3. Delete profile from device without deleting it from the sync chain

This may or may not work
Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
COUSIN’S COMPUTER:

iPhone 6s: Ver. 15.8.2

Laptop: Windows 11 Home
OS Build - 21996.1

iMac: OSX Catalina 10.15.7

The device that says (This Device) is my cousin’s computer. I still haven’t removed the other “copy” of his device from the sync chain. Does anyone know if this could cause issues?

The other repeated devices are the same sync chain but for different users on the iMac. I should probably stop doing that.

Hey,

the same thing happened to me recently. I deleted the profile on a device in the sync chain and this completely wiped everything on all other devices in the chain. I still have the sync code.
This behavior is unexpected and now all bookmarks, passwords, history are lost. If anyone knows a way to restore the data please let me know. Apart from that, this behavior should be changed or at least the user should be warned, that deleting the Browser profile of a device in the sync chain also deletes all data synced to other devices in the chain.

1 Like

Thank you both for reporting.

This is actually not possible — removing a device from the Sync chain, by design, will not have any effect on the data itself. Even the Delete Sync account option does not delete any local data.

Can you both please confirm that the data was actually deleted/removed from the other devices on the chain?

Thank you

Hey,
I did not remove the device from the chain. I deleted the browser profile (I was using multiple profiles), which was part of the sync chain. This caused the data being wiped on all other devices in the chain as well.
My guess is, that by deleting the profile, it removed all data stored in the profile. This deletion of data was synced to the chain, like it would sync the manual deletion of a bookmark.

@Mattches
Yes, what had happened was that I deleted the browser profile. So instead of removing it from the sync chain, I did the following:

Yo.

If there is any laptop you haven’t used since this issue began… like a laptop, log in and turn any internet connection off immediately. After that, open the settings and remove it from the sync chain. I would not recommend re-entering the sync chain when you are done.