Location services are consistently wrong

The location services for Brave are consistent but highly incorrect. The browser believes I am located in Greeley, CO (Just north of the University of Colorado if anyone else has the same location). I live in Minnesota and have not moved at any point since using the browser. The issue is consistent between all websites that request location information but is most noticeable on websites that don’t allow permanent, manual location changes such as Google Maps. I am not using any VPNs, and my location services for all other browsers installed (IE, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox) are accurate. This has been an issue for the entirety of the time I’ve used Brave, around 3 months.

There have been prior posts of this issue, however all of them have been closed without an actual workable solution. There have been recommendations of:

• Make sure location services is enabled
    —Location services are certainly enabled, it’s just seeing the wrong location.

• Clear cookies/cache and check again
    —Cookies/cache have been cleared without a change in location. I even enabled cross-site cookies just to try it and it didn’t help.

• Enable all device recognition in the shields settings
    — Enabled without any location change. Heck, I even lowered the shields entirely on Google Maps and it didn’t change anything.

• Try in a private browsing window
    —I get the same result in a private browsing window as I do normally.

Brave is up to date
Version 1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This is a deal-breaker issue for me, and I’m sure many others. I expect to be able to go to google and search “Restaurants near me” and immediately get accurate results without moving the map hundreds of miles. Currently, I can’t do that in the Brave browser. I want to use this browser because I truly believe it’s an incredible idea with some great features, but as of right now, it doesn’t meet the basic expectations.

2 Likes

@An32sd5,
Thanks for reaching out.
In your thread you mention that this happens when searching our using Google maps – I’m wondering if this is the case for any/all sites that would access your location? For example, if you visit weather.com, does it also display the incorrect location?

Yes. All websites that request location information see the same location.

It happens in my browser as well. For me, it shows a different country all together.
Surprisingly it happens only in brave. Chrome, edge or internet explorer doesn’t seem to have this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.