Keyboard shortcut does not work on my employer's platform, so I can't work

I do transcription work online for a company, actually, it’s SRT (subtitling) work. Everything is based on keyboard shortcuts, and I can’t use Brave because one of the main shortcuts, Ctrl + space, which toggles pause and play, doesn’t work. It’s fine on Chrome or Firefox. Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

I am using Brave version 1.13.86 and Windows 10.

I would tell someone by email what the company is, but I’d rather not say it publicly.

@GrumpyGoddess,
Given the nature of it I assume there’s no way I can test this myself, correct?

Have you tried the site w/Shields down? Does it make any difference?

Correct. Well, I guess you can try and pass the training and exams, but I’m not even sure they’re hiring right now. :smiley:

Turning off the shields didn’t make a difference.

1 Like

@GrumpyGoddess,
It’s strange that a keyboard shortcut wouldn’t work properly. Can you try with Shields = Up, then hit Advanced view and change the Fingerprinting option to Allow all fingerprinting. Refresh the page and see if there is any change.

In the meantime I’ll reach out to some of our web compat guys and see if they know what is going on.

1 Like

No, sorry. It made no difference.

1 Like

@GrumpyGoddess,
Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

1 Like

Yes, I do. But only what I imported from Chrome, which doesn’t explain why the shortcut works in Chrome but not in Brave. I did find one extension that uses Ctrl + Space, but that extension is specifically for use on another transcription site that I work for and can only be used on that platform.

You wanted me to check the keyboard shortcut settings, right?

@GrumpyGoddess,

Not quite – although that is a good thing to check. I’m actually curious if there’s something in your browsing profile/data/cache that could explain this. Would you try testing the behavior in a new browser profile (Menu --> Create new profile)? You’re welcome to remove this profile after testing if you want. But if a fresh profile with no data/extensions etc on it still shows the same behavior (keyboard shortcut not working) then we know for sure the issue is browser based.

Aha, that worked. So does that mean it’s an extension 100%? I guess the next step would be to turn off all the extensions and see if it works, right?

Okay, I found it. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Even though the extension I mentioned earlier is only supposed to work on one specific platform, the shortcut obviously interferes on other platforms. I disabled the extension, and now the shortcut works. Thanks, again!

1 Like

@GrumpyGoddess,
You’re very welcome! Glad we were able to figure this out. Marking this solved :slight_smile:

1 Like