JSON data is not expected (New Wallet Creation)

Hello,
I’m not sure if this is the correct place to report this issue.

I tried to use the new wallet and when I do I get this error “JSON data is not expected” when creating a password. Is this a Bug?
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 1.17.24 AM

Thank you

1 Like

well what are you entering into the field there? it’s an import field. I think that should be a 12 words delimited by spaces, not a password

1 Like

It’s not asking for a seed phrase, it’s asking for a password to set up the new Wallet.

1 Like

I don’t see a create password button there. THe text I read is about importing

1 Like

The field you can see in the original screenshot is for the old wallet password so the browser can decode your existing encrypted wallet and import it into the new wallet. There are two other fields (not included in the screenshot) to set up the new wallet password, with an option to use the same password as the old wallet.
It’s also not very well designed as it will only import your seed, ignoring imported addresses and also ignoring custom networks you might have set up in the old wallet.

1 Like

I’m trying to put a password

Are you entering the old password for the CW to import in or adding a new password?

1 Like

new password. so I guess I have to enter the old password which I don’t remember :see_no_evil:

Could it be some kind of parsing bug, where it thinks you’re submitting JSON due to the string starting with a ‘{’ or something like that?

1 Like

Same problem here.
Maybe we should wait a bit while everything works fine.

1 Like

Yes we should wait and see.

1 Like

+1. Same issue.

Also what password would this be exactly? I don’t ever remember using one.
My browser wallet just created itself and gave me a seed phrase to backup (which I still have), that’s all I remember.

2 Likes

To be clear, the original post shows screen for importing so you will need to enter the old wallet password first and either use the same or create a new one (if current password doesn’t meet the criteria). If you don’t have the password from older wallet, the only option left would be to use the seed words to import. Note restoring won’t restore the secondary accounts that are linked in the older wallet. You will need to relink them (h/w wallet or wallet imported via private key).

1 Like

So if I have been using a Gemini wallet I use that password? That’s what I’m doing and getting the same error.

1 Like

Unfortunately that won’t work.

Yeah, but why?

I have the same issue here. I don’t even know what to type anymore…

1 Like

@sriram I used my previous wallet’s password to import and got the same error. I am pretty sure the password is correct because I used the same yesterday before updating brave. What do I do?

It is also not clear to me which password I should enter there. I didn’t use the old wallet, I just used Brave Rewards connected with Uphold. So my BAT should be at Uphold.

I don’t know what old wallet Brave has found. I have no password for an old wallet. I just have a on old seed phrase from Brave but I don’t know where to enter the seed phrase. So I think the best solution is to create a new wallet?

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of confusion about wallets. Rewards wallet and Crypto Wallets are two different things. Rewards whether verified or not with Uphold/Gemini won’t be migrated to Crypto Wallets. So you wont be able to transfer your BAT to Crypto Wallet.

If you had the Crypto Wallets extension enabled and wallet created on that only then it will allow you to migrate to the new wallet. Just enabling/installing won’t auto migrate on upgrade.

1 Like

So I’m not the only one who is confused. Yea I have a crypto wallet created but I don’t remember creating a password hmm. I only have the recovery keys.

Right now I’m afraid to do anything worried about losing my BAT which is stored at brave wallet since nothing is being transferred to Uphold due to the device limit

2 Likes