Is there a way to backup the Brave Session before reinstalling the OS?

(then import that back into Brave after the computer is Assimilated to a new OS)

Description of the issue:

Need to reinstall my OS and don’t want to loose the tabs/windows again that I already have open.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 7 Professional

Brave

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80070057).

Learn more

Version 0.61.52 Chromium: 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thank you.

I’d maybe wait for @Mattches or @eljuno to confirm (they’ll get a notification they’re being mentioned), but you should be able to copy your User Data folder to a USB or other external/network drive, then copy it back after the OS reinstall. It’s been a long time since I’ve used Win7, but in Win10, the folder is found at %LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\

You might be able to just copy your Profile folder, but if you have the space and time, I’d go with the whole User Data folder.

Ok, so then everything in C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data

Also I’m going to install a new Hard Drive & take out the old one temporarily.

1 Like

Yeah, when I back it up I just drag “User Data” to a different folder to copy the whole thing. If you’re doing the new drive and plan to connect the old drive, anyway, then you could just copy it from drive to drive after installing Brave.

Again, especially if you have Brave Rewards involved, it might be best to get confirmation from @Mattches or @eljuno. I haven’t learned much about how the Rewards/BAT system works.

But there’s this page about how to backup your Rewards and get it going again:

1 Like

Oh alright, thanks… I backed it up with Password Safe. Not that I’ve ever used it though.

1 Like

Wallet data must be backed up as it will (as far as I know) not be imported (not properly at least) when moving the User Data folder to it’s new destination. If you frequently use Brave Rewards (or have a lot of BAT in your wallet), ensure that you back-up your wallet before moving or deleting any Brave data.

1 Like

Ok, I see :eyes:… I followed the instructions at the link :link: that @hnktong provided. It’s just that long series of words, right :point_right: :arrow_right:? I’ve never used the Brave rewards and don’t have any funds in it.

If you don’t use Brave Rewards or have funds, then you’re pretty safe to go through with the method described above. To be safe, ensure that you have a backup copy of your User Data directory saved in the event something goes wrong during the process (better safe than sorry)

1 Like

Alright, well I’m not going to be formatting my hard drive, I have a new hard drive to install. (higher capacity)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.